'Working example' vs 'worked example'

• Thread starter feynman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: As others have said, it means an example in which all the steps are shown, and a working example can be thought of as a prototype of a finished product that actually functions as designed.
feynman1
any difference?

Science news on Phys.org
A 'working example' usually means something like a functioning prototype, whereas a 'worked example' means something more like a demonstration of a stepwise procedure for attaining a result. Typically you'll see the former term in discussions of mechanisms, and the latter in textbooks, especially math books, in reference to examples of how to solve problems, one or more for each of some particular kinds.

Likes berkeman and feynman1
sysprog said:
A 'working example' usually means something like a functioning prototype, whereas a 'worked example' means something more like a demonstration of a stepwise procedure for attaining a result. Typically you'll see the former term in discussions of mechanisms, and the latter in textbooks, especially math books, in reference to examples of how to solve problems, one or more for each of some particular kinds.
Thanks a lot and understood a bit. But could you please give some examples to manifest the difference further? Maths too has mechanisms.

A "working example" could be a physical machine that demonstrates that a patent actually represents something that works. An actual prototype of a new kind of airplane, for example.

A "worked example" would be a written down step by step solution to an equation, for example.

Likes feynman1 and sysprog
https://www.hetl.org/worked-examples-teacher-practices/ said:
Worked examples (WE) are step-by-step demonstration processes of how to complete a problem or perform a task (Clark, Nguyen, & Sweller, 2006). WE seek to impart information. An instance of a worked example may be the process of how to perform a math problem correctly. Concepts are first introduced in their simplest form. A gradual progression of simple to complex step-by-step procedures are an integral part of WE (Clark et al., 2006). Knowing the appropriate levels of progression and starting points is referred to as “scaffolding” (Atkinson, Derry, Renkl, & Wortham, 2000; Glaser, 1976). Since WE are a way to impart information, the process is considered a form of lecturing (McKeachie & Svinicki, 2011).

A working example would be the end result of a worked example. An example that is actually working in real life.

Here's a worked example on how to go in space:
  1. Sell books online;
  2. Wait until you become a multibillionaire;
  3. Hire engineers to build spaceship;
  4. Go to space.
Jeff Bezos is a working example of this worked example.

Likes feynman1, sysprog, hutchphd and 3 others
My first time coming across with this 'worked example' expression.
Cannot help it: for me this sound like something you would say when it's failed.

I don't know if this expression existed before the whole cognitive science thing blew up, but if not, it feels like a poor choice of words for something made up from scratch o0)

@Rive, I'm a bit puzzled by your apparent skepticism regarding this ##-## in my view, it's straightforward ##-## here's an example (from https://intl.siyavula.com/read/math...inequalities/04-equations-and-inequalities-03):

1632985374609.png

Likes feynman1 and phinds
sysprog said:
I'm a bit puzzled by your apparent skepticism regarding this
That 'skepticism' is directed on the naming sense of the inventor of the expression, and not on the phenomenon itself.

Likes feynman1
Rive said:
That 'skepticism' is directed on the naming sense of the inventor of the expression, and not on the phenomenon itself.
And I am also puzzled by your point of view. It seems to me to be a perfectly correct descriptive phrase.

Likes Bystander and sysprog
Rive said:
I don't know if this expression existed before the whole cognitive science thing blew up
I don't hvve any dates, but my sense is that the phrase "worked example" has been around in English for many, many years.

As others have said, it means an example in which all the steps are shown, and a working example can be thought of as a prototype of a finished product that actually functions as designed.

Likes feynman1

Related to 'Working example' vs 'worked example'

1. What is the difference between a "working example" and a "worked example"?

A working example is an example that is currently functioning or being used in real-time, while a worked example is an example that has already been completed or solved.

2. Which type of example is more beneficial for learning?

It depends on the individual's learning style, but generally a worked example is more beneficial because it allows the learner to see the problem-solving process and understand the steps taken to reach a solution.

3. Can a working example be used as a substitute for a worked example in learning?

No, a working example is not as effective as a worked example in learning because it does not provide the same level of understanding and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using worked examples in learning?

One potential disadvantage is that it may limit creativity and critical thinking skills, as the solution is already provided. Additionally, it may not be as effective for more complex problems.

5. How can worked examples be used effectively in learning?

Worked examples can be used effectively by providing a variety of examples, encouraging learners to actively engage with the examples, and using them as a guide for problem-solving rather than a step-by-step solution.