Work, tension and conservation of energy

In summary: So the area of the triangle is 1/2 c*L. Which means the work is W=T0*L (1/2 c*L). I am hoping this is the right answer, but I am not entirely sure.In summary, the conversation discusses the tension of a muscle as it contracts from its maximum length to zero length. It is suggested to approximate this function as a linear decrease. The maximum work the muscle can do in one contraction is found to be T0*L(1/2c*L), where T0 and L are factors that set the scale on each axis. Additionally, it is stated that the absolute maximum tension T0 is approximately proportional to the muscle's cross sectional area, and the volume of the muscle can
ex81

Homework Statement

The figure, redrawn from Gray's Anatomy, shows the tension of which a muscle from its maximum length L, so that at x=0 the muscle has length L, and at x=L the muscle would theoretically have zero length. In reality, the muscle is extended to its maximum length, at x=0, it is capable of the greatest tension, T0. As the muscle contracts, however, it becomes weaker. Gray suggests approximating this function as a linear decrease, which would theoretically extrapolate at zero at x=L.

(a) find the maximum work the muscle can do in one contraction, in terms of c, L, and T0.
(b)Gray also states that the absolute maximum tension T0 has been found to be approximately proportional to the muscle's cross sectional area A(presumably measured at x=0), with proportionality constant K. Approximating the muscle as a cylinder, show that our answer from part (a) can be expressed in terms of the volume, V thus eliminating L & A
(c) Evaluate your result numerically for the biceps muscle with a volume of 200 cm^3, with a c=0.8, and a k=100N/cm^2 as estimated by Gray

Homework Equations

PE(i)+KE(i)=PE(f)+KE(f)
W=F*D
Y=mx+c
w=integral of Force * dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much stuck at trying to get the equation for the tension verses length of the muscle

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) my professor wrote this up:
We want the area under the graph(a graph we have to make from his little blurb) from x=0 to x=cL. This area can be split up into a rectangle plus a triangle sitting on top of it. To make all the math easier, let's start by leaving out the factors of L, and T0, since these just set the scale on each axis; we'll start by calculating everything as if we had L=1, and T0=1, and then throw those two factors back in at the end. In these fake units, the point at the graph of the graph, where the muscle can't contract anymore, has coordinates (c, 1-c). The rectangle has a width c, height of 1-c, and a area of c(1-c). The triangle has a base c, height c, and a area of (1/2)c^2. The total area is c-(c^2)/2. Putting the factors of L=1, and T0=1 back in, we find that the work is W=T0*L(c-(c^2)/2).

So by looking at this jibberish I am going to guess that they are expected to have a linear relationship, and thus finding the area of a triangle will give the total tension.

|\
| \
l \
|____\
| l \
|____|__ \

I am going with T as my y-axis, and L as my x-axis. Which puts my "c" as that tiny triangle.

Related to Work, tension and conservation of energy

1. What is work in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is tension related to work?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in a direction that is opposite to the direction the object would naturally move in. Work is done when an object is moved by a force, so tension can contribute to the work done on an object.

3. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

4. How is energy conserved in a system?

In a closed system, energy is conserved through various transformations. For example, potential energy can be converted to kinetic energy, and vice versa, without any loss of energy. This ensures that the total energy of the system remains constant.

5. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work is the measure of the energy transferred to or from an object. When work is done on an object, its energy is changed. Similarly, when an object does work, it loses or gains energy. This relationship is described by the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.