Work out B0', E0', k' and omega', and show that the phase (kr-omega t) is

In summary, an electromagnetic planewave with frequency ω is propagating in the x direction in a reference frame S; it is polarised in the y direction with amplitude E_{0}. The k-\omega 4-vector can be written (k_{x}, k_{y}, k_{z}, i\omega/c). In part a), the fields of the plane wave E(x, y, z, t) and B(x, y, z, t) are defined and written out as E(x, y, z, t)=E_{0}e^{i(k_{E}.r - \omega_{E}t+\phi_{E}}) and B(x, y, z, t)=B_{0
blueyellow

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic planewave with frequency ω is propagating in the x direction in a reference frame S; it is polarised in the y direction with amplitude E[itex]_{0}[/itex]. The k-[itex]\omega[/itex] 4-vector can be written (k[itex]_{x}[/itex], k[itex]_{y}[/itex], k[itex]_{z}[/itex], i[itex]\omega[/itex]/c).

a) Write down and define the fields of the plane wave E(x, y, z, t) and B(x, y, z, t), being sure to define all terms you use.
b) The plane wave is observed from a reference frame S' moving in the x direction with speed v relative to S. Work out B'[itex]_{0}[/itex], E'[itex]_{0}[/itex], k' and [itex]\omega[/itex]', and show that phase (kr - [itex]\omega[/itex]t) is Lorentz invariant.
c) Find the speed of the wave in S' and check that the product of the intensities E'[itex]_{0}[/itex]B'[itex]_{0}[/itex] is unchanged.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) E(x, y, z, t)=E[itex]_{0}[/itex]e[itex]^{i(k_{E}.r - \omega_{E}t+\phi_{E}}[/itex])
B(x, y, z, t)=B[itex]_{0}[/itex]e[itex]^{i(k_{B}.r - \omega_{B}t+\phi_{B}}[/itex])

But there seem to be so many equations for E and B around that I don't really know which one they are asking for in this case.

b) Does one have to use matrices? If so, what are the matrix representations of B and E? I lookled it up and couldn't find it anywhere. If not, how is the question meant to be done?

So

x'=[itex]\frac{x-vt}{(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{1/2}}[/itex]
y'=y
z'=z
t'=[itex]\frac{t-v\frac{x^{2}}{c^{2}}}{(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{1/2}}[/itex]

But I am not quite sure how that is supposed to help me to the question. Do I have to find the x, y, z and t components of the E and B fields? How is that meant to be done?

E[itex]_{x0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\frac{qx_{0}}{(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}[/itex]

E[itex]_{y0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\frac{qy_{0}}{(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}[/itex]

E[itex]_{z0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\frac{qz_{0}}{(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}[/itex]

E'[itex]_{x0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\frac{qx}{4\pi\epsilon(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}-vt}{(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{1/2}}[/itex]

E'[itex]_{y0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\frac{qy_{0}}{(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}[/itex]

E'[itex]_{z0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]\frac{qz_{0}}{(x^{2}_{0}+y^{2}_{0}+z^{2}_{0})^{3/2}}[/itex]

Is this correct? What am I supposed to do about the B0', k' and omega'?

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From some webpage on cramster.com that had a similar question:

E(x, y, z, t)=E[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos (kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)y-hat [equation 1]

E'[itex]_{x}[/itex]=E[itex]_{x}[/itex]=0
E'[itex]_{z}[/itex]=E[itex]_{z}[/itex]=0

E'[itex]_{y}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](E[itex]_{y}[/itex] - vB[itex]_{z}[/itex])
E[itex]_{y}[/itex]=E[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)
B[itex]_{z}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{E_{0}}{c}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)

E'[itex]_{y}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](E[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)-[itex]\frac{E_{0}v}{c}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)
E'=[itex]\gamma[/itex](E[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)-[itex]\frac{E_{0}v}{c}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)

=[itex]\alpha[/itex]E[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)

where
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](1-v/c)

so I figured that:

E'(x, y, z, t)=E'[itex]_{0}[/itex][cos (kx-[itex]\omega[/itex]t)]y-hat

E'[itex]_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{E'}{[cos (kx-ωt)]y-hat}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{\alpha E_{0}cos(kx-ωt)}{[cos (kx-ωt)]y-hat}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{\alpha E_{0}}{y-hat}[/itex]

(substituting in [equation 1]):

=[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\frac{E(x, y, z, t)}{[cos (kx-ωt)](y-hat) (y-hat)}[/itex]

Stupid question, but what do I do with the y-hat y-hat on the denominator? I have never seen unit vectors in the denominator before. Do I just assume that the dot product is taken? If so, why? Or should the y-hats have not been there in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Work out B0', E0', k' and omega', and show that the phase (kr-omega t) is

1. What are "Work out B0', E0', k' and omega' in a scientific context?

These terms refer to the magnetic field strength (B0'), electric field strength (E0'), wavevector (k'), and angular frequency (omega') of an electromagnetic wave, respectively. They are important parameters in understanding the behavior and properties of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How are B0', E0', k' and omega' related to each other?

B0' and E0' are related to each other through the wave impedance of the medium, which is equal to the ratio of the electric field strength to the magnetic field strength. k' and omega' are related through the dispersion relation, which describes the relationship between the wavevector and angular frequency of an electromagnetic wave.

3. What is the significance of the phase (kr-omega t) in the context of electromagnetic waves?

The phase (kr-omega t) represents the phase difference between the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave at a given point in space and time. It is important in understanding the interference and propagation of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is the phase (kr-omega t) affected by changes in B0', E0', k', and omega'?

The phase (kr-omega t) is directly proportional to the wavevector (k') and angular frequency (omega') and inversely proportional to the magnetic field strength (B0') and electric field strength (E0'). As these parameters change, the phase of the electromagnetic wave also changes.

5. Can the phase (kr-omega t) be measured in experiments?

Yes, the phase (kr-omega t) can be measured in experiments using various techniques such as interferometry or phase-sensitive detectors. It is an important parameter in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves and is often used in experiments to characterize and manipulate them.