Work on an object moving downards

In summary, in order to move a textbook from a high shelf to a low shelf, the force exerted must be in the opposite direction of the motion. This means that the work done on the textbook is negative, as the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This is due to the equation W = Fcosd, where the angle between the force and displacement is 180 degrees.
AAAA

Homework Statement

You move a textbook from a high shelf to a low shelf. Is the work you do on it positive or negative?

Homework Equations

W = Fcosd

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that if you are doing a positive applied force on the textbook, over some distance, the work should be positive. But the answer is negative. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction is the force YOU exert? Compare this with the direction of motion.

brainpushups said:
In what direction is the force YOU exert? Compare this with the direction of motion.
The motion is upwards, the direction is downwards.

AAAA said:
upwards

That's not how you phrased the question:

AAAA said:
You move a textbook from a high shelf to a low shelf. Is the work you do on it positive or negative?

From a high to a low shelf means the motion is downward. The force you exert is upward. Therefore the work you do is negative (force and displacement are in the opposite direction i.e. θ = 180)

brainpushups said:
That's not how you phrased the question:
From a high to a low shelf means the motion is downward. The force you exert is upward. Therefore the work you do is negative (force and displacement are in the opposite direction i.e. θ = 180)

Right, sorry! I meant the force is upwards. Yes, I understand now. Thanks!

Related to Work on an object moving downards

1. What is the definition of work on an object moving downwards?

Work on an object moving downwards is the force applied to an object in the direction of its motion as it moves in a downward direction.

2. What factors affect the amount of work done on an object moving downwards?

The amount of work done on an object moving downwards is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied.

3. How is the work done on an object moving downwards calculated?

The work done on an object moving downwards is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance over which the force is applied, multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. Can work on an object moving downwards be negative?

Yes, work on an object moving downwards can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This indicates that the object is losing energy as it moves downwards.

5. How is work on an object moving downwards related to the object's kinetic energy?

According to the work-energy theorem, the work done on an object moving downwards is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy. This means that as work is done on an object to increase its speed while moving downwards, the object's kinetic energy also increases.