Work of Varying X Component by Integration

In summary: B is to the right of C. So the horizontal distance from A to B is not 5 m.In summary, the problem involves finding the work done between points A and B for a 76-kg crate moving from rest with an initial velocity of 8 m/s. The variable x component of force F, which is 756 N, is used in the calculation through integration. The solution involves relating cos θ to the displacement in x and then integrating from 0 to 5 m. However, there was initially a mistake in the calculation of the integral, which was later corrected. The final step involves finding the antiderivative of \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}}, which can be
Ad Astra

Homework Statement

A 76-kg crate starts from rest at A and is moving at 8 m/s. Using integration, find the work done between A and B of the variable x component of force F= 756 N. (See attached jpeg for the geometry of the problem)

EDIT: We are doing a variation of the problem shown in the jpeg below, the only difference being the length from A to B (5 m instead of 6 m) and the vertical position of the pulley (5 m instead of 6 m).

Homework Equations

U1-2= ∫F cos θ dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Since F is constant and cos θ is variable, I've tried to relate cos θ in terms of the displacement in x. Since cos θ = Δx/Δ(Length of rope), and because the vertical displacement of the pulley remains constant (5 m), I obtained a value of:

cos θ = x/(x2 + 25)-1/2

Whenever I solve this integral I end up with a value equal to the magnitude of the force multiplied by a displacement of 7.5 m in x which, from the geometry of the problem, is impossible. Obviously, I'm just not looking at this correctly. Any hints would be very helpful, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• HW10.jpg
    HW10.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
Ad Astra said:
Since F is constant and cos θ is variable, I've tried to relate cos θ in terms of the displacement in x. Since cos θ = Δx/Δ(Length of rope), and because the vertical displacement of the pulley remains constant (5 m), I obtained a value of:

cos θ = x/(x2 + 25)-1/2
Looks good. (Except for the minus sign in front of the 1/2. I assume that was a typo.)
Whenever I solve this integral I end up with a value equal to the magnitude of the force multiplied by a displacement of 7.5 m in x which, from the geometry of the problem, is impossible.
What did you get when you integrated? What were your limits of integration?

0m5m (F cos θ) dx

= F∫0m5m (cos θ) dx

= F∫0m5m [x(x2 + 25)-1/2] dx

= F∫0m5m [1 + (x/5)] dx

= F{∫0m5m dx + 1/5∫0m5m x dx}

= F{[x + x2/10]5m0m}

= F{[(5 m) + (5 m)2/10] - [0]}

= F(7.5 m), where F= 756 N

= 5670 J

This just seems to be too high a value to me. Since the x component of F is always decreasing and can never be more than F itself and, furthermore, is not applied for a displacement greater than 5 m, I feel this value should be lower than this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't figure out where it is exactly that I'm going wrong.

Sorry if my notation seems a little sloppy, I've never tried to express an integral via digital media before. I hope it makes sense.

Ad Astra said:
0m5m (F cos θ) dx

= F∫0m5m (cos θ) dx

= F∫0m5m [x(x2 + 25)-1/2] dx
OK. Are the limits 0 to 5 or 2 to 7?

= F∫0m5m [1 + (x/5)] dx
:confused: How did you get this?

Doc Al said:
OK. Are the limits 0 to 5 or 2 to 7?

:confused: How did you get this?

I wish there was an emoticon for an embarrassed slap to one's own forehead. I can't believe I made such an amateurish move. I guess I somehow convinced myself that (a + b)x was equal to ax + bx and then multiplied both terms by x. I was just trying to simplify my integral before trying to integrate.

Now I feel better for knowing where I was going wrong, but am left with the task of integrating the square root of a sum of squares. I don't even know where to begin on that one. Maybe some sort of trig substitution?

My teacher said that it was fairly simple integral and now I feel like a moron for not being able to grasp it. I feel like the answer is right there in front of me and I'm just not seeing it...:confused:

EDIT: The upper limits are from A to B (in the picture I provided), or from 0m to 5 m so far as I can tell.

Ad Astra said:
Now I feel better for knowing where I was going wrong, but am left with the task of integrating the square root of a sum of squares. I don't even know where to begin on that one. Maybe some sort of trig substitution?
Nah, nothing that complicated.

You need to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}}[/tex]

Play around with it a bit. (Or just look it up!)
EDIT: The upper limits are from A to B (in the picture I provided), or from 0m to 5 m so far as I can tell.
In your diagram, B is not directly under C.

Related to Work of Varying X Component by Integration

1. What is the "Work of Varying X Component by Integration"?

The "Work of Varying X Component by Integration" refers to a mathematical method used to calculate the work done by a variable force along a path or curve. It involves integrating the product of the force and the displacement along the path.

2. How is the work of varying X component by integration different from other methods of calculating work?

The key difference is that this method takes into account the varying X component of the force, rather than assuming a constant force. This allows for a more accurate calculation of work in situations where the force changes along the path.

3. What are some real-world applications of this concept?

This concept is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work done by varying forces, such as in the design of machines and structures. It is also used in calculating the work done by non-constant gravitational or magnetic fields.

4. Can the "Work of Varying X Component by Integration" be negative?

Yes, the work calculated using this method can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that work is being done against the force, rather than by it.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method?

One limitation is that it can only be applied to one-dimensional motion, where the force and displacement are in the same direction. It also assumes a continuous and smooth path, which may not be applicable in all scenarios.