Work, heat and internal energy in pV diagram.

In summary: The first implies that work is done in moving from P1 to P2. The second implies that the process is reversible.
Gavroy
hi

i have this pV-diagram(ideal gas) and i am supposed to say something about the heat, internal energy and work transferred and done on these different paths( i have to bring them in an order like). i do not know how to do this, as this is a pV diagram and these paths are not further specified. i guess that i only need two quantities, as the third quantity is related to the other two by the 1st law of thermodynamics.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 978
Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin with work: It is done when the volume changes. Can you relate volume changes to "work per volume", if you know the pressure?

Heat changes the pressure at constant volume. Try to begin with path 1, and look what happens there.

A qualitative description should be sufficient, as you just have this sketch to describe the paths.

in my opinion the resulting change in volume and pressure is the same, so i do not see how this is helpful, sorry.

The values for pressure and volume are the same at the end, but the paths are different.

Imagine you are in a car: You have a lot of different ways to reach any destination. Some of them are quicker than others, some of them require more fuel, and so on. So if I ask you "which way is the quickest?", the answer "they all lead to the same destination" is not useful.

Here is my question: Which path releases the lowest amount of work?

Follow mfb, he is leading you down the correct path :smile:

heat, internal energy and work transferred and done on these different paths

Further hint
Which of these does not appear in a PV diagram?

releases the lowest amount? probably the shortest one.

so 2-3-1-4?

what does not appear? probaby, heat, but i don't know. one could say, that internal energy depends only on temperature and there is the ideal gas law, so one could say something about the internal energy too.

What quantity is measured by the area under a PV diagram and what quantities are defined by the end points in your diagram?

work is the area under this curve. :wink:
internal energy is defined by the end points.

OK keep going you are getting there.

See you in a couple of hours.

Cyclic_process.PNG

You might start with an idealized PV diagram such as that to to say something about the heat, internal energy and work transferred and done on these different paths. And then compare the paths in your question to the idealized.

but was it not correct that the amount of work is proportional to the area under the curve and the internal energy is the same? cause then, i would say: problem solved.

Heat is still missing.
But apart from that... yes.

I don't know what sort of course you are following but this is really first law/gas law stuff and you have already asked questions involving the second law.

Anyway your question here is to think about PV diagrams so here are some notes on PV diagrams.

Note that isothermal and adiabatic expansions are concave upwards.

At the end are two cases from your diagram. A straight line from P1V1 to P2V2 and a line which goes upwards from P1V1 so meaning that the process increases both P and V. That is they are concave downwards.

What do you think these imply?

Attachments

• pv_expansion1.jpg
    pv_expansion1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 773
  • pv_expansion2.jpg
    pv_expansion2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 781

Related to Work, heat and internal energy in pV diagram.

What is the difference between work and heat in a pV diagram?

Work and heat are both forms of energy transfer in a pV diagram, but they differ in their mechanisms. Work is the transfer of energy through mechanical means, such as the movement of a piston, while heat is the transfer of energy through thermal means, such as through a temperature difference.

How does the internal energy change in a pV diagram?

The internal energy in a pV diagram changes as the system undergoes a process. If work is done on the system, the internal energy will increase. If work is done by the system, the internal energy will decrease. Additionally, heat transfer can also change the internal energy of the system.

Can the internal energy of a system be negative?

Yes, the internal energy of a system can be negative. This can occur if work is done by the system or if the system loses heat. It is important to note that the absolute value of the internal energy is what is significant, not the sign.

How can you calculate the work done in a pV diagram?

The work done in a pV diagram can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the diagram. This can be done by dividing the diagram into smaller rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then summing them together.

Why is the pV diagram useful in studying thermodynamics?

The pV diagram is useful in studying thermodynamics because it visually represents the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It allows us to analyze and understand the changes in work, heat, and internal energy as the system undergoes various processes. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the system and making calculations for real-world applications.