Work equation for electrostatics and electricity

In summary, when moving a charge in an electric field, the work done can be calculated using two different equations: W=qV and W=-PE. Which equation to use depends on whether you are considering the work done by the system on the charge or the work done by you on the system. In this specific problem, the correct equation to use is W=qV, resulting in a work of 30.
Benny851
I have a question about the equation for work as it pertains to electrostatics and electricity. One book I read says equation for work done by electric field is W=qV, but another book says W=-PE. However, when I try both equations for the following problem I get different answer. Could someone please explain to me which equation I should use and why? Thanks.

Parallel plate capacitor with 10 V battery. +3 charge is on negative plate and you need to move it to positive plate. calculate work.

w=-pe -> -(3*10) = -30

w=qv -> 3*10= 30

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny851 said:
I have a question about the equation for work as it pertains to electrostatics and electricity. One book I read says equation for work done by electric field is W=qV, but another book says W=-PE. However, when I try both equations for the following problem I get different answer. Could someone please explain to me which equation I should use and why? Thanks.

Parallel plate capacitor with 10 V battery. +3 charge is on negative plate and you need to move it to positive plate. calculate work.

w=-pe -> -(3*10) = -30

w=qv -> 3*10= 30

Something I like to do is to put myself into the problem.

Imagine for a moment that you are able to shrink yourself down to the size of the charge and physically push it. If the force that you apply on the charge is in the same direction as the charge's displacement, then it can be said that "you have done positive work on the system."

On the other hand, if you are pushing the charge forward, but the charge ends up going backward such that the force that you exert is in the opposite direction as the charge's displacement, then it can be said that "you have done negative work on the system." This is equivalent to saying "the system has done positive work on you."

So the correct answer involves who is doing work on what.

In this problem there are two forces involved: the force that you exert on the system and the equal and opposite force that the system exerts on you (or exerts on the charge if you were not there to keep it from accelerating).

Assuming a constant force, one can define the work as
[tex] W = \vec F \cdot \vec{\Delta x} [/tex]
If [itex] \vec F [/itex] and [itex] \vec{\Delta x} [/itex] are in the same direction the work is positive, if they are in opposite directions, the work is negative. Of course the answer depends on which force you are talking about!

So let's revisit this problem as it was worded:

The question, as it was worded, is sort of ambiguous. It's not clear if its talking about the work done by the system or the work done by you. But if I had to guess, I would say it wants you give the work done by you, on the system, when you move the charge from the negative plate to the positive plate.

Last edited:

Related to Work equation for electrostatics and electricity

1. What is the work equation for electrostatics?

The work equation for electrostatics is W = qΔV, where W represents work done, q represents charge, and ΔV represents the change in potential difference.

2. How is the work equation for electricity different from the work equation for electrostatics?

The work equation for electricity is W = VIΔt, where W represents work done, V represents voltage, I represents current, and Δt represents time. This equation takes into account the movement of charges and the duration of time, while the work equation for electrostatics only considers the potential difference.

3. What is the relationship between work and potential difference in electrostatics?

The work done in electrostatics is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that as the potential difference increases, the work done also increases.

4. Can the work equation for electrostatics be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, the work equation for electrostatics can be used for both positive and negative charges. This is because both types of charges can experience a change in potential difference, which is the main factor in the work equation.

5. How is the work equation for electrostatics used in practical applications?

The work equation for electrostatics is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of capacitors and in the calculation of the energy required to move charges in a circuit. It is also commonly used in the study of electrostatic forces and fields.