Work energy theorem vs Newton's 2nd law and kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is generally easier to use the work energy theorem or Newton's 2nd law & kinematics in predicting the motion of an object when there are velocity and/or position dependent forces acting on it. The overall consensus is that the work energy theorem is easier to use, especially if the time aspect is not a factor and there is enough information about the starting and ending points of the object's motion. Additionally, the use of scalar multiplication in the work energy theorem is considered easier than dealing with vectors.
Mola
So i have this general question.
When the situation arises in which there are velocity and/or position depended forces acting on an object, would it be generally easier to use the work energy theorem or Newton's 2nd law & kinematics in predicting the motion? My guts tell me it will be work energy theorem but I cannot figure out good reasons. Any reasons why work energy theorem will be easier in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
My rough thought is as follows.

If your question is NOT explicitly on time, i.e.
-What's the maximum height of the thrown up ball?
-What's the velocity of ball in height h?
Energy conservation law is useful.

If your question is explicitly on time, i.e.
-What's the velocity of ball 1 second after?
-What's the time for ball to reach maximum height?
Equation of motion is necessary.

I hope there's something helpful for you in it.
Regards.

Mola said:
When the situation arises in which there are velocity and/or position depended forces acting on an object, would it be generally easier to use the work energy theorem or Newton's 2nd law & kinematics in predicting the motion? My guts tell me it will be work energy theorem but I cannot figure out good reasons. Any reasons why work energy theorem will be easier in this situation?

Motion = change in position over time.
Velocity = change in position over time.

Acceleration = change in velocity over time.

Jolt, surge = change in acceleration over time.

Kinematics = branch of physics that describes motion.

Newton's 2nd law & Kinematics equations
----------------------------------------

1.) a= F / m (change in acceleration)

2.) v= u + a * delta-time (change in velocity)

3.) position+= v * delta-time (change in position)

4.) GOTO 1.)

Done.

Work-energy theorem
--------------------

1.) W= F * d

2.) F = ?? / ??

3.) position = ?? / F

acceleration? velocity?

Mola said:

The Energy approach is typically always easier. The only problem is that it only tells you what is happening at two points (1 and 2) and nothing about what happened in between those two points.

So as long as you only care about the initial and final states the Energy approach will be the easiest normally.

CS

Ok, so I'll say Work Energy Theorem(W.E.Th) might be easier if -

*We do NOT have to deal with time.
*We know info(velocity and energy) about the starting and ending point of the object's motion.
*I also thought W.E.Th will be easier since it only involves scalar multiplication. Scalars are easier to deal with than vectors.

Related to Work energy theorem vs Newton's 2nd law and kinematics

1. What is the difference between the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law?

The work energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if a force is applied to an object, causing it to move a certain distance, the work done by that force will result in a change in the object's kinetic energy. On the other hand, Newton's 2nd law states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This law focuses on the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while the work energy theorem relates force and displacement to the change in an object's kinetic energy.

2. How do the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law relate to kinematics?

The work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law are both fundamental principles in classical mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects. Kinematics is a subfield of classical mechanics that specifically deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Both the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law are essential for understanding the kinematics of an object, as they provide a way to quantify and analyze the motion of an object.

3. Can the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law be used interchangeably?

No, the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law are not interchangeable. While they both deal with force and motion, they are based on different principles and have different applications. The work energy theorem is primarily used to analyze the energy changes in a system, while Newton's 2nd law is used to determine the acceleration of an object based on the forces acting on it. However, the two principles are related and can be used together to fully understand the motion of an object.

4. How does the work energy theorem account for friction and other non-conservative forces?

The work energy theorem takes into account all the forces acting on an object, including friction and other non-conservative forces. When calculating the work done by these forces, the work energy theorem takes into account the distance over which the force is applied. This means that the work done by friction, for example, will result in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy due to the distance over which the force is applied. In contrast, conservative forces, such as gravity, will result in a change in the object's potential energy.

5. How do the work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law apply to real-world situations?

The work energy theorem and Newton's 2nd law have wide-ranging applications in real-world situations. They can be used to analyze the motion of objects in a variety of scenarios, such as the motion of a ball thrown into the air, the movement of a car on a hill, or the flight of a rocket. These principles are also crucial in engineering and design, as they help in understanding the forces and energy involved in the operation of machines and structures. Additionally, they are essential in fields such as sports, where understanding the motion of objects is crucial for performance and safety.