Work Energy Theorem: Find Speed of Block Descend

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tension being considered a conservative force and its role in the work done in a system. It also clarifies that in a massless string, the work done is always zero and can be ignored in calculations. The use of the work-energy theorem and mechanical energy conservation is also mentioned.
vissh
Hello :)

Homework Statement

<Q>A wheel of moment of inertia "I" and radius "R" is free to rotate about its center as shown in figure http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g448/vissh/?action=view&current=pulley-1.jpg" .A string is wrapped over its rim and a block of mass m is attached to the free end of the string. The system is released from rest. Find the speed of the block as it descends through a height h.

Homework Equations

>K.e.of a body rotating abt an axis with M.O.I = I and angular velocity 'w' = (Iw2)/2
>Principle of conservation of energy [applied when work done by external forces is 0 and the internal forces are conservative]
>Conservative forces are those forces whose work done only depend on initial and final position only.

The Attempt at a Solution

>I was able to solve the problem[using a different way shown below]
>The book got a solution which i can't understand :-
It said (let at that instant) velocity of block is "v" and thus, its k.e. is (mv2)/2. Thus, angular speed of the pulley is "v/r" and thus its K.E. is [I(v/r)2]/2 .
Using principle of conservation of energy :-
..... mgh = (mv2)/2 + [I(v/r)2]/2
>The problem is that I can't get How "tension" in string is considered to be conservative and if it is conservative, isn't a P.E. also be stored w.r.t. it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tension is an internal force to the mass-pulley system. You can work out for yourself that it does negative work on the hanging mass and positive work on the pulley such that the sum of these two works is zero.

hello vissh! :smile:
vissh said:
The problem is that I can't get How "tension" in string is considered to be conservative and if it is conservative, isn't a P.E. also be stored w.r.t. it .

yes, as kuruman :smile: says, the tension does no work

yes, technically a PE is stored in it, but that PE is amazingly small …

string is virtually inextensible, ie its k is extremely small, and can be ignored, in exactly the same way as we also ignore the mass of the string, the torsion (twisting) of the string, the friction on the bearings, etc

you have to accept that exam questions are deliberately worded so as to make the answer easy!

don't read things into the question that aren't there, and do accept without question such conventions as "strings have no mass and no PE" :wink:

Thanks to you both for reply ^.^
kuruman said:
You can work out for yourself that it does negative work on the hanging mass and positive work on the pulley such that the sum of these two works is zero.
The thing is this :-
->This was an example in my book and its was given before the topic :- "Work done by a torque"
. SO, i wasn't able to find the work done by the torque [produced by the tension] on the pulley
and thus, wasn't able to see that the work done by tension is zero in the system.
>So, we have to see if work done by tension is zero or not [in system] before applying the equation i wrote in my first post ?

:D

vissh, you're doing it again! :rolleyes:

you're finding things that aren't there, and worrying about them …

you're the first person to mention torque

(yes, of course there is a torque on the pulley, but …)

kuruman :smile: only mentioned the work done by the tension … the tension is not a torque (measured in N.m), it's only a force (measured in N)! …

you should know that work done equals force times displacement …

since the string is inextensible, the displacements at opposite ends of any section of the string are the same, and since the tension forces are equal and opposite (for a "weightless" string), the work done cancels

no torque involved! :smile:

vissh said:
>So, we have to see if work done by tension is zero or not [in system] before applying the equation i wrote in my first post ?

no, the work done by a massless string is always zero (and for a string with mass, the work done equals the change in gravitational PE of the string, so again you can ignore it)

internal forces cancel (that's Newton's third law ), and their work done cancels … you can always ignore them :wink:

vissh said:
. SO, i wasn't able to find the work done by the torque [produced by the tension] on the pulley and thus, wasn't able to see that the work done by tension is zero in the system.
:D
It seems that you are using the term "system" a bit loosely. Before doing any calculations, you should be clear on what you have chosen as your "system."

1. If your system is only the pulley, then you will have to calculate the work done by the tension because it is external to the system. This calculation involves the work-energy theorem, ΔKEpulley = Wtorque
Similar considerations apply if your system is the hanging mass only.

2. If your system is the pulley and the hanging mass together, you cannot go wrong if you use the work-energy theorem and say

ΔKEpulley+hanging mass = Wgravity

If you do that, there are two points to be made:

(a) As noted earlier, the tension does equal and opposite amounts of work on the two components of this system, therefore it appears as zero on the right side and is ignored.

(b) The right side can be moved to the left side to give
ΔKEpulley+hanging mass - Wgravity = 0
But ΔPEgravity = - Wgravity by definition so you end up with the mechanical energy conservation equation
ΔKEpulley+hanging mass + ΔPEgravity = 0

This last equation is essentially the equation you wrote in your first post.

heya thanks Both of you again for replying ^.^
[Sorry for late response But my Internet went down for 2 days]:wink:
tiny-tim said:
vissh, you're doing it again! :rolleyes:

you're finding things that aren't there, and worrying about them …

you're the first person to mention torque

(yes, of course there is a torque on the pulley, but …)
Hehe . Thanks for pointing out :D
And btw got it now :)

-----> Btw an extra question :- If There is a pulley as in my question and a force is acting on it as the tension T . Then, the work done by T [with pulley as the system]is equal to the work done by the torque it produces ?

Thanks both of you again :)

vissh said:
heya thanks Both of you again for replying ^.^
[Sorry for late response But my Internet went down for 2 days]:wink:

Hehe . Thanks for pointing out :D
And btw got it now :)

-----> Btw an extra question :- If There is a pulley as in my question and a force is acting on it as the tension T . Then, the work done by T [with pulley as the system]is equal to the work done by the torque it produces ?

Thanks both of you again :)
I think it is better to think of it this way, there is no work done by the force of tension because the pulley is not displaced. There is only work done by the torque generated by the tension.
You know that Wtorque = τθ. Now τ = TR and if the mass descends by amount h, θ = h/R. Putting it together gives Wtorque=(TR)(h/R) = Th

The work done by the tension on the hanging mass is -Th because the displacement and the tension are at 180o with respect to each other.

kuruman said:
I think it is better to think of it this way, there is no work done by the force of tension because the pulley is not displaced. There is only work done by the torque generated by the tension.
So, when i write the work energy theorem [taking pulley as system {or a system like this pulley (more generally)}] , I should include work done by the tension , Wtension And work done by torque , Wtorque "separately" ?
And the later part you wrote Got it :D [Amusingly, i solved like that. But i was taking Wtension on pulley = Wtorque = (Tr)(h/r) = (T)(h) ]{But as i asked above , the 2 works will be different from each other rite !}

vissh said:
So, when i write the work energy theorem [taking pulley as system {or a system like this pulley (more generally)}] , I should include work done by the tension , Wtension And work done by torque , Wtorque "separately" ?
And the later part you wrote Got it :D [Amusingly, i solved like that. But i was taking Wtension on pulley = Wtorque = (Tr)(h/r) = (T)(h) ]{But as i asked above , the 2 works will be different from each other rite !}

You didn't quite get it. One more time,

1. When your system is only the pulley there is only work done by torque. The tension does not do work.
2. When your system is only the hanging mass, there is work done by both tension and gravity.
3. When your system is the combined pulley and hanging mass, there is only work done by gravity.

Happy holidays.

hehe my bad . got it :)

Happy holidays to you too ^.^

hi kuruman! merry fishmas! :smile:
kuruman said:
You know that Wtorque = τθ. Now τ = TR and if the mass descends by amount h, θ = h/R. Putting it together gives Wtorque=(TR)(h/R) = Th

surely it's not the displacement of the pulley that matters, but of the point of application of the force?

if we consider the pulley, together with a particular bit of string, then the point of application of the tension is the end of that bit of string, which will move a distance h …

so the work done by the tension is Th …

the same as your torque result, but obtained much more directly

(i think you were thinking of friction on a rolling wheel, where there's no string to add to the pulley, and the point of application really is undisplaced, and no work is done :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
hi kuruman! merry fishmas! :smile:

surely it's not the displacement of the pulley that matters, but of the point of application of the force?

if we consider the pulley, together with a particular bit of string, then the point of application of the tension is the end of that bit of string, which will move a distance h …

so the work done by the tension is Th …

the same as your torque result, but obtained much more directly

(i think you were thinking of friction on a rolling wheel, where there's no string to add to the pulley, and the point of application really is undisplaced, and no work is done :wink:)
Correct-o, but I considered the system as being pulley sans string. Anyway, it's clear what's what.

Merry fish-mas to you too tiny-tim. Tonight's your special night - stay clear of scrooges until the morn. :smile:

Related to Work Energy Theorem: Find Speed of Block Descend

What is the Work Energy Theorem and how does it relate to finding the speed of a block descending?

The Work Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its speed. In the case of a block descending, the work done by gravitational force is equal to the change in the block's kinetic energy, allowing us to calculate its final speed.

What are the key equations used in the Work Energy Theorem to find the speed of a descending block?

The two key equations used in the Work Energy Theorem are:

1. Work-Energy Equation: W = ΔK = Kf - Ki

2. Kinetic Energy Equation: K = 1/2 * m * v^2

What are the necessary variables needed to calculate the speed of a descending block using the Work Energy Theorem?

In order to calculate the speed of a descending block using the Work Energy Theorem, we need to know the initial kinetic energy of the block (Ki), the final kinetic energy of the block (Kf), and the mass of the block (m). These variables can be determined using the equations mentioned above.

Are there any assumptions or limitations when using the Work Energy Theorem to find the speed of a descending block?

Yes, there are a few assumptions and limitations when using the Work Energy Theorem:

1. The block is assumed to be moving along a straight path with constant acceleration due to gravity.

2. The effects of air resistance and friction are ignored.

3. The block is assumed to be a point mass, meaning its size and shape do not affect the calculations.

Can the Work Energy Theorem be used to calculate the speed of a block ascending?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can also be used to calculate the speed of a block ascending. The only difference is that the work done by the gravitational force will be negative, as the force is acting against the direction of motion. This will result in a decrease in the block's kinetic energy and a decrease in its speed.