Work-Energy Problem: Solve Horizontal Distance Skier Travels

• Thread starter billu77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work-energy
In summary, the problem involves a skier starting from rest on a frictionless incline with a height of 20.0 m and an angle of 20 degrees. The skier encounters a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.210 at the bottom of the incline. The question asks for the horizontal distance the skier travels before coming to rest if the incline also has a coefficient of kinetic friction equal to 0.210. The solution involves calculating the work done by gravity and the work done by friction separately, and then setting them equal to each other to solve for the horizontal distance. The resulting equation is 0.210 x 9.8 x height = 0.210 cos 20
billu77

Homework Statement

Problem A skier starts from rest at the top of a frictionless incline of height 20.0 m which makes an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. As the bottom of the incline, the skier encounters a horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction between skis and snow is 0.210.

Find the horizontal distance the skier travels before coming to rest if the incline also has a coefficient of kinetic friction equal to 0.210.

The Attempt at a Solution

-mg(mu) cos 20 = -1/2 mv ^2
-g cos 20 = -1/2 v ^2

unable to get the right answer...pls help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi billu77! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I htink you're getting rather confused …

i] the height will be sin, not cos

ii] the friction is only on the horizontal

Try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi billu77! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I htink you're getting rather confused …

i] the height will be sin, not cos

ii] the friction is only on the horizontal

Try again! :smile:

thanks...i tried again with sin instead of cos and it didnt work out...there is friction on both surfaces...as it says on the last line "if the incline has a co-efficient of kinetic friction"...can u solve it showing all the steps...thanks

Hi billu77! :smile:

(we don't give out answers here at PF :wink:)
billu77 said:
thanks...i tried again with sin instead of cos and it didnt work out...there is friction on both surfaces...as it says on the last line "if the incline has a co-efficient of kinetic friction"...can u solve it showing all the steps...thanks

ah, I thought that was just part b) … didn't realize there wasn't a part a) :blushing:

ok … you can't combine the gravitational work done and the friction work done into one big µgh thingy :-p

do a gh thingy and a µ thingy separately …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi billu77! :smile:

(we don't give out answers here at PF :wink:)

ah, I thought that was just part b) … didn't realize there wasn't a part a) :blushing:

ok … you can't combine the gravitational work done and the friction work done into one big µgh thingy :-p

do a gh thingy and a µ thingy separately …

what do you get? :smile:

I have no clue about the method that u mentioned...atleast if you could show me the equations, i can try to work out the solution...gh alone would be 9.8 x 20= 196...i am attaching an image of the problem...would appreciate if you could provide the equations and i can take it from there...thanks

Attachments

• 5-19.gif
    5-19.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 762
(I can't see your picture yet, but anyway …)

The gravitational work done is mgh, because mg downward is the force, and if we "dot" it with the displacement, that means multiplying it by the difference in height, h.

The frictional work done must be calculated separately, and is the friction force "dot" the displacement …

what is that? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(I can't see your picture yet, but anyway …)

The gravitational work done is mgh, because mg downward is the force, and if we "dot" it with the displacement, that means multiplying it by the difference in height, h.

The frictional work done must be calculated separately, and is the friction force "dot" the displacement …

what is that? :smile:

thanks a lot...i got the correct answer using the equation:

0.210 x 9.8 x height = 0.210 cos 20 x horizontal distance of incline + 0.210 x 9.8 x distance traveled totally

Related to Work-Energy Problem: Solve Horizontal Distance Skier Travels

1. How do you calculate the horizontal distance a skier travels?

To calculate the horizontal distance a skier travels, you can use the equation: d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the skier's velocity, and t is the time. This assumes that the skier travels at a constant velocity for the entire time.

2. What is the work-energy problem in relation to a skier?

The work-energy problem in relation to a skier involves the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy as the skier moves down a slope. As the skier descends, potential energy decreases and kinetic energy increases, allowing the skier to move and cover a certain distance.

3. How does the weight of the skier affect the horizontal distance traveled?

The weight of the skier does not directly affect the horizontal distance traveled. However, a heavier skier may have a greater potential energy at the top of the slope, which can be converted into more kinetic energy and result in a longer horizontal distance traveled.

4. Can you use the work-energy equation to solve for the horizontal distance traveled?

Yes, the work-energy equation can be used to solve for the horizontal distance traveled by a skier. The equation is: W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance. By rearranging this equation, d = W/F, you can solve for the distance traveled.

5. What are some factors that may affect the horizontal distance a skier travels?

Some factors that may affect the horizontal distance a skier travels include the slope of the hill, the skier's weight, the skier's velocity, and any external forces such as wind or friction. Additionally, the type and condition of the skis, as well as the skier's technique, can also impact the distance traveled.