Work, Energy and Power - Variable Acceleration

In summary, a car of mass 900kg moves along a horizontal road with its engine working at a constant rate of 20kW. Its speed at A is 10m/s, and assuming there is no resistance to motion, it will take 7.2 seconds for the car to reach its speed of 20ms.
samwilliamh
The question is about Mechanics (so a mix of maths and physics)

Homework Statement

A car of mass 900kg moves along a straight horizontal road with its engine working at a constant rate of 20kW. Its speed at A is 10m/s, Assuming that there is no resistance to motion, calculate the time taken for the car the travel from A until its speed reaches 20ms.

u=10
v=20
P=20000

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I drew a diagram that looked similar to this: http://skrbl.com/130853849 (sorry, scanner broken!)

Power = Fv therefore F = 20000/v

FCA F=ma N2L

Res (->) (20000/v) = 960a
a = 125/6v

I know I need to integrate the acceleration formula (due to variable acceleration) but I'm not sure how to do with wrt t. My problem is because there is no t. I do remember my teacher saying something about integrating both sides to find time (school is over here now though so I can't get hold of him). I have attempted to integrate both sides but it still made little sense. I did a little browsing on these forums and came up with this though:

integral(dv) = integral([125/6v]dt)

I appreciate any and all help - it's probably something simple that I just can't see! I mainly need hints (would rather not answers) on how to integrate this to give me something in relation to time.

By the way, according to the textbook the answer is 7.2 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
P = Fv
F=m(dv/dt)
Therefore,

P = m(dv/dt)v = const.
Pdt = mv(dv)

Integrate both sides. This is what your teacher meant.

Last edited:
samwilliamh said:
I know I need to integrate the acceleration formula (due to variable acceleration) but I'm not sure how to do with wrt t. My problem is because there is no t. I do remember my teacher saying something about integrating both sides to find time (school is over here now though so I can't get hold of him). I have attempted to integrate both sides but it still made little sense. I did a little browsing on these forums and came up with this though:

integral(dv) = integral([125/6v]dt)

So you have the formula : a = dv/dt = 125/(6 v).

You can integrate this differential equation by "separation the variables": collecting everything "v" at one side and "t" at the other side.

[tex]\int_{10}^{20}{vdv}= \frac{125}{6}\int_0^T{dt}[/tex]

You integral with respect to v from the initial velocity to the final one, and the upper limit for t is just the time of question.

ehild

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to understand them as best I can however we have not been taught an awful lot on integration. From ehlid's reply I managed to get the following:

900 = [tex]{125}\int_0^T{dt}[/tex]

That's as far as I could get. Do you know of any places where I can find the pure maths that will help me answer this (unless you can give more hints of course)? Such as an example on how to solve something similar?

Last edited:
You can solve this problem without integration if you are familiar with the work - energy theorem: The change of the KE of a rigid body is equal to the work of all the external forces acting upon it.

KE2-KE1 = W.

The initial and final velocities are given, the mass is known, you can calculate the change of kinetic energy.

You have to get the work. The power is given and it is constant. So the work done in time t is W=Pt. You know everything to calculate the time.

ehild

Thanks so much for that! I wasn't actually taught that and my teacher says that is the only way.

It seems so much easier (and it, plus it's right!) Going to be a fun lesson tomorrow

Related to Work, Energy and Power - Variable Acceleration

1. What is the difference between work and energy in variable acceleration?

In simple terms, work is the amount of force applied over a certain distance, while energy is the ability to do work. In variable acceleration, work and energy are related because the force and distance are constantly changing, resulting in a change in energy.

2. How is power calculated in variable acceleration?

Power is the rate at which work is done, and it is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work. In variable acceleration, since the force and distance are constantly changing, the power also changes accordingly.

3. Can you give an example of a real-life situation where variable acceleration is present?

One example of variable acceleration is when a car is accelerating or decelerating on a curve. The force and distance traveled are constantly changing as the car turns, resulting in variable acceleration.

4. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to variable acceleration?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In variable acceleration, the total energy remains constant, but it can change forms as the force and distance change.

5. What is the significance of studying work, energy, and power in variable acceleration?

Understanding work, energy, and power in variable acceleration allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects in real-life situations. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics, and it helps us make informed decisions in various applications, such as designing machinery and vehicles.