Work: Dot Product and Integral?

This will give you a straight line with slope Fx and y-intercept 0. The area under this curve for a displacement of 3 meters will be 3*3 = 9 J.
learning_physica
I’m having trouble understanding the relationship between how work is both a dot product and integral. I know that work equals F • D and also the integral of F(x): the area under the curve of F and D.

However, let’s say that I have a force vector <3,4> and a displacement vector of <3,0>. The dot product yields 9J.

However, if I took the area under the curve by treating the vector <3,4> as a line segment which has a magnitude of 5 and the displacement vector also as a line segment with magnitude 3, then the area under the curve of this triangle with side lengths 3, 4, and 5 give me an area of 6J.

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use the hypotenuse as the displacement. If the force is ##\vec F = F_x~\hat x + F_y~\hat y +F_z~\hat z## and the displacement is ##\vec d =d_x~\hat x + d_y~\hat y +d_z~\hat z##, then the work done by this force is ##W=\vec F \cdot \vec d=F_xd_x+F_yd_y+F_zd_z##. There is no hypotenuse involved. When you have a force that depends on position, then the incremental work over a displacement ##d\vec s## is ##W=\vec F \cdot d\vec s=F_xdx+F_ydy+F_zdz## and you need to do 3 integrals to find the total work.

In the specific case that you posted, the work is just ##W=F_xx##. It turns out that ##F_x = F## only because the direction of the force has been chosen as the x-axis, but this does not mean that you can replace the displacement by its magnitude. You can do that only if both the force and the displacement are in the same direction.

The integral definition of work is a dot product. It is ##W = \int \vec F \cdot \vec{ds}##. If ##\vec F## is constant and the displacement is along a constant direction, then this becomes ##W = \vec F \cdot \int \vec {ds} = \vec F \cdot \vec D##

learning_physica said:
I’m having trouble understanding the relationship between how work is both a dot product and integral. I know that work equals F • D and also the integral of F(x): the area under the curve of F and D.
The integral is of the component of F along the path, which in this case is 3 N. So you're integrating a constant of 3 along ##ds## for 3 meters, which gives you 9 J.

learning_physica said:
However, let’s say that I have a force vector <3,4> and a displacement vector of <3,0>. The dot product yields 9J. However, if I took the area under the curve by treating the vector <3,4> as a line segment which has a magnitude of 5 and the displacement vector also as a line segment with magnitude 3, then the area under the curve of this triangle with side lengths 3, 4, and 5 give me an area of 6J.

Look, let's do it algebraically in terms of components.
$$W = \int \vec F \cdot \vec {ds} = \int \left( F_x i + F_y j \right) \cdot (i dx + j dy) = \int \left ( F_x dx + F_y dy \right ) \\
=\int F_x dx + \int F_y dy$$

F_x is a constant. Its plot vs x does not look like a triangle. F_y is a constant. Its plot vs y does not look like a triangle. You're confusing (x,y) space in some way with your plot of force vs distance.

For your example the first integral, the area under the curve for the x component, reduces to 3 * 3 = 9 J, and your second integral, the area under the curve for y, reduces to 0 * 4 = 0. Total 9 + 0 = 9 J.

Likes Dale
Could someone then tell me what’s wrong with my diagram

Image1539127169.394696.jpg

Attachments

• Image1539127169.394696.jpg
    Image1539127169.394696.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 582
learning_physica said:
Could someone then tell me what’s wrong with my diagram
Your diagram is wrong in that it shows that the force varies with distance when it actually does not. Furthermore, if you want the area under the curve to be the work done by the force, you should plot Fx vs. x, not F vs. D.

Then, what would be an appropriate diagram @kuruman

learning_physica said:
Then, what would be an appropriate diagram @kuruman
As I indicated in post #6, plot Fx vs. x. Find Fx at different values of x, put the appropriate points on the graph and connect the dots.

Related to Work: Dot Product and Integral?

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

2. How is the dot product used in work calculations?

In physics, the dot product is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object. The dot product of the force and the displacement of the object gives the magnitude of the work done in the direction of the force.

3. What is the relationship between the dot product and the angle between two vectors?

The dot product is also used to determine the angle between two vectors. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This relationship is known as the dot product identity.

4. What is the integral in relation to work?

The integral is a mathematical concept that is used to find the area under a curve. In the context of work, the integral is used to calculate the work done by a variable force over a given distance. It involves finding the area under a force-distance graph.

5. How is the dot product used in finding the total work done?

To find the total work done by a force over a given distance, the dot product is used to calculate the work done in each small interval of the distance. These small work values are then added together using integration to find the total work done.