Work done walking up a mountain

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of F=ma and the Pythagorean theorem to calculate slope lengths. The formula for work is also mentioned, with the question arising about why sin is used instead of cos. The angle used in the work formula is clarified to be the incline angle, which is either 35 or 25 in this case.
ravsterphysics
Poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template in schoowork posts here
mountain.JPG

Homework Equations

I used F=ma to calculate F and pythag theorem to calculate slope lengths

The Attempt at a Solution

On the left hand side (angle 35) the slope length is 636m, on the right hand side (angle 25) the slope length is 365m.

Now, in my notes I know that F=ma and since there is an angle inbetween, to calculate work done the formula is:

Work done = (F)(Cos,theta)(Distance)

so we should use cos35 and cos 25 but on the videos and mark scheme they use sin instead of cos??

Could someone explain why we use sin and not cos?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theta corresponds to what angle? (In the work formula.)

ravsterphysics said:
View attachment 110872

Homework Equations

I used F=ma to calculate F and pythag theorem to calculate slope lengths

The Attempt at a Solution

On the left hand side (angle 35) the slope length is 636m, on the right hand side (angle 25) the slope length is 365m.

Now, in my notes I know that F=ma and since there is an angle inbetween, to calculate work done the formula is:

Work done = (F)(Cos,theta)(Distance)

so we should use cos35 and cos 25 but on the videos and mark scheme they use sin instead of cos??

Could someone explain why we use sin and not cos?

Doc Al said:
Theta corresponds to what angle? (In the work formula.)

the incline angle, so in this case it would be either 35 or 25, that's what I have in my notes

ravsterphysics said:
the incline angle, so in this case it would be either 35 or 25, that's what I have in my notes
In the formula for work, it's the angle between force (what's the force you're working against here?) and the displacement. (Not simply the angle of the incline, though it's surely related.)

Related to Work done walking up a mountain

What is work done walking up a mountain?

Work done walking up a mountain refers to the amount of energy expended by an individual while hiking or climbing up a mountain. It takes into account the distance covered, the weight of the individual and their gear, and the elevation gained.

How is work done walking up a mountain calculated?

The work done walking up a mountain can be calculated using the formula: work = force x distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the individual and their gear, and the distance is the elevation gained. This calculation can be converted to joules (J) or calories (cal) depending on the units used.

What factors affect the amount of work done walking up a mountain?

The amount of work done walking up a mountain is influenced by several factors including the weight of the individual and their gear, the distance and elevation gained, the terrain and incline of the mountain, and the speed at which the individual is hiking. Altitude and weather conditions can also impact the amount of work done.

Is work done walking up a mountain the same for everyone?

No, the work done walking up a mountain can vary for each individual based on their physical fitness level, body weight, and the difficulty of the hike. Someone who is physically fit and carrying a lighter load may expend less energy than someone who is less fit and carrying a heavier load.

Can work done walking up a mountain be reduced?

Yes, the amount of work done walking up a mountain can be reduced by taking breaks, pacing oneself, using proper hiking techniques, and carrying a lighter load. It is also important to stay hydrated and fuel the body with proper nutrition to minimize the amount of work required.