Work done to lift a mass of water

In summary: It is generally a good idea to look at the date of the last post and not respond to very old threads.In summary, the conversation discusses the work required to lift 800 kg of water per minute from a 14.0 m deep well and eject it with a speed of 18 m/s. It breaks down the total work into two parts: (a) the work required to lift the water and (b) the additional work needed to give the water kinetic energy. The formula for work is given as W = mgh for lifting the water and W = (1/2)mv^2 for giving it kinetic energy. The total power output of the pump can be found by adding (a) and (b)
henry3369

Homework Statement

A pump is required to lift 800 kg of water (about 210 gallons) per minute from a well 14.0 m deep and eject it with a speed of 18 m/s
(a) How much work is done per minute in lifting the water?
(b) How much work is done in giving the water the kinetic energy it has when ejected?

Homework Equations

Work = change in energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the different between part a and part b.
Wouldn't the work done to lift it also be the work done to give it the final kinetic energy?

W = -ΔU or ΔK

Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:
I don't understand the different between part a and part b.
Wouldn't the work done to lift it also be the work done to give it the final kinetic energy?
They are breaking the total work required into two pieces:
(a) How much work is required just to lift the water? (Without imparting any kinetic energy.)
(b) How much additional work is needed to give it some kinetic energy?

Doc Al said:
(a) How much work is required just to lift the water? (Without imparting any kinetic energy.)
(a) W = mgh
(b) W = (1/2)mv^2

Ok so I got those two. The next question asks for the total power output of the pump.
It seems that the answer comes from adding (a) and (b) then dividing by 60 seconds.
I'm confused because:
P = Net Work / time
Net Work = -ΔU or ΔK, and the former gives (a) while the latter gives (b).

Additionally, I tried using conservation of energy with nonconservative forces:
Ki + Ui + Wnc = Kf + Uf
Wnc = Kf + Uf. Using this for the power equation gives the correct answer, but this is the work due to ONLY the nonconservative forces. If I want to find the total power output, wouldn't I need net work?

Doc Al said:
I found another post that explained that work is actually the change in total mechanical energy. So does that mean Wnc = Net Work?

henry3369 said:
If I want to find the total power output, wouldn't I need net work?

henry3369 said:
So does that mean Wnc = Net Work?
Yes and yes.

I would put it this way: The net work done must equal the change in mechanical energy (ΔU + ΔKE) of the water. (We are ignoring details like friction and so on.)

Think about it this way, it is not just lifting that water and then moving it, the pump performs a constant process in which it is both lifting some water while pushing the last water it lifted at the same time... if it was just talking about a specific 800kg of water it would be different, but the pump has water constantly moving, i had the same question in my study guide and that is how i thought about it after we went over the answers

Thank you for your contribution. Please note that this thread is 8 years old.

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR

Related to Work done to lift a mass of water

1. What is work done to lift a mass of water?

Work done to lift a mass of water is the amount of energy required to move a certain volume of water from one location to another against gravity.

2. How is work done to lift a mass of water calculated?

The formula for calculating work done to lift a mass of water is W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of water being lifted, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the water is being lifted.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done to lift a mass of water?

The unit of measurement for work done to lift a mass of water is joules (J), which is a unit of energy.

4. How does the density of water affect the work done to lift a mass of water?

The density of water does not affect the work done to lift a mass of water. The work done is only dependent on the mass of water and the height it is being lifted.

5. How does the height of the water being lifted impact the work done?

The higher the water is being lifted, the more work is required to move it against gravity. This is because the potential energy of the water increases with height, and more energy is needed to overcome this potential energy and lift the water to a higher position.