Work done on box from gravitational force

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of finding the work done by the gravitational force when lifting a box to a certain height. The two methods mentioned are W = mg (x) and W = 2mgsin(a), with the latter being encouraged by the lecturer. However, both methods are correct and can be used depending on the given information in the question. The conversation also mentions that the work done should be negative since the box is being displaced against gravity.
frozen7
When lift up the box to 2m forward. Find out the work done by the gravitational force.

I find it by W = mg (x)
But my lecturer encourage me to do it in this way: W = 2mgsin(a), and told me that my method is correct in trigonometric but not really correct in physics.

I would like to know whether my method is really not suitable or it is correct actually?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
When lift up the box to 2m forward. Find out the work done by the gravitational force.

I find it by W = mg (x)
But my lecturer encourage me to do it in this way: W = 2mgsin(a), and told me that my method is correct in trigonometric but not really correct in physics.

I would like to know whether my method is really not suitable or it is correct actually?

Work done will remain equal to mgh where h is the height raised.However this expression can be written in other different ways , for example you can write h in terms of the distance transversed upwards and the angle of the inclined plane with the horizontal , which is what you did.Both methods are correct.Actually it depends on the question itself which method to use.In the questions either the height raised will be given or the angle & the length transversed upwards will be given .

BJ

Here the box is displaced agains the gravity, hence the work done by the gravitational force should be negative.

Related to Work done on box from gravitational force

1. What is work done on a box from gravitational force?

The work done on a box from gravitational force is the energy transferred to the box as it is moved against gravity. This work is equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the distance the box is moved.

2. How is work done on a box from gravitational force calculated?

The work done on a box from gravitational force can be calculated using the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force of gravity, and d is the distance the box is moved.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done on a box from gravitational force?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), which is also equal to newtons (N) multiplied by meters (m).

4. Does the mass of the box affect the work done on it from gravitational force?

Yes, the mass of the box does affect the work done on it from gravitational force. The greater the mass of the box, the more work is required to move it against gravity.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of movement and the work done on a box from gravitational force?

The angle of movement does not affect the work done on a box from gravitational force, as long as the box is moving in a straight line. The work done is only dependent on the force of gravity and the distance the box is moved.