Work done on an incline plane with friction

In summary, the box slides up the ramp at a constant speed, and the pushing force is 210N. The coefficient of sliding friction is 0.18, so the work done is 420N.
Zsmitty3
You slide a box of books at constant speed up a 30^\circ ramp, applying a force of 210N directed up the slope. The coefficient of sliding friction is 0.18.

1. How much work have you done when the box has risen 2m vertically?

2.What is the mass of the box?

I think I could solve this if I was given the mass of the books

The pushing force is given, but how do you find the force of the friction with no mass to find the normal force. Once I get the force of friction I would just add it to the pushing force (210) and multiply by distance to get the work done.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the box moves at a constant speed then what is its acceleration? Now your only unknown is mass.

I'm missing something here. 210 is the force given. The Normal Force I'm taking it as.

So 210=m*(9.8)*cos30

or 210/(9.8*cos30)=m

that's not giving me the correct answer for mass though.

Zsmitty3 said:
I'm missing something here. 210 is the force given. The Normal Force I'm taking it as.

So 210=m*(9.8)*cos30

or 210/(9.8*cos30)=m

that's not giving me the correct answer for mass though.

Okay after I read this I realized it's not the normal force its the pushing force up the ramp. So 210= m*a*sin30

so 210/sin30=m because there is no acceleration. This comes out to 420 which is still wrong so what am I messing up?

I would find the sum of forces in the X and Y planes first by drawing a Free-body-diagram and splitting the mg force into its x and y components.
You could then use the ƩFy = may = Fnormal - mgcos30
Try to solve for Fnormal which you can plug into another Newton equation

I might be wrong though :rolleyes:

I would find the sum of forces in the X and Y planes first by drawing a Free-body-diagram and splitting the mg force into its x and y components.
You could then use the ƩFy = may = Fnormal - mgcos30
Try to solve for Fnormal which you can plug into another Newton equation

Yes, so n = mgcosθ

If you write out an expression for the x-components and use this expression for n, then the mass will be the only unknown.

You have 3 unknowns: m, the force of friction, and the normal force.

To solve the problem, you need three equations.

Draw a FBD. That should give you two of your equations.

Then, recall how the force of friction is related to the normal force. That is your third equation.

Then, all you need to do is algebra. Plug and chug.

Related to Work done on an incline plane with friction

1. What is work done on an incline plane with friction?

Work done on an incline plane with friction refers to the amount of force exerted over a distance on an object placed on an inclined surface with friction present. It is a measure of the energy required to move the object from one point to another on the incline.

2. How is work done calculated on an incline plane with friction?

The work done on an incline plane with friction can be calculated by multiplying the force applied on the object by the distance it travels along the incline. This is known as the work-energy theorem and is represented by the formula W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance traveled.

3. What factors affect the work done on an incline plane with friction?

The work done on an incline plane with friction is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline, and the distance traveled. These factors influence the amount of force needed to move the object and thus affect the work done.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the work done on an incline plane?

The presence of friction on an incline plane increases the amount of work done as it requires more force to overcome the resistance of the frictional force. This means that more energy is needed to move the object along the incline, resulting in a higher value for work done.

5. What is the significance of work done on an incline plane with friction?

The measurement of work done on an incline plane with friction is important in understanding the energy transfer and the efficiency of a system. It can also be used to calculate the power required to move an object on an incline with friction and to analyze the mechanical advantage of using an incline plane in various applications.