Work Done on a System of Charges

In summary, Griffith's Electrodynamics is confusing me. In deriving the Poynting vector, he says to suppose that we have some charge and a current configuration which at some time t produces fields E and B. In the next instant, dt, the charges move around. He then asks the question, "How much work, dW, is done by the electromagnetic forces acting on these charges in the interval dt?" From the Lorentz force law, the work done on a charge q is: dW= \mathbf{F} \cdot d \mathbf{l} = q( \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B
kmm
Something I have read in Griffith's Electrodynamics is confusing me. In deriving the Poynting vector, he says to suppose that we have some charge and a current configuration which at some time t produces fields E and B. In the next instant, dt, the charges move around. He then asks the question, "How much work, dW, is done by the electromagnetic forces acting on these charges in the interval dt?" From the Lorentz force law, the work done on a charge q is: [tex] dW= \mathbf{F} \cdot d \mathbf{l} = q( \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}) \cdot \mathbf{v} dt = q \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathbf{v} dt [/tex] But ## q= \rho d \tau ## and ## \rho \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{J}##. So the rate that work is done on all the charges in a volume V is: [tex] \frac{dW}{dt} = \int_{V} ( \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathbf{J}) d \tau [/tex] Great, but the problem with this to me is that this gives a nonzero result for work. But how can the total work done by a system on itself be nonzero? I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the work done of the fields on the charges. You also have the kinetic energy and the energy of the fields in your total energy.

You have to be careful about what you are defining as the system. Given that definition of work the system is the charges, but not the field. So the system is not doing work on itself. The fields are doing work on the charges.

OK, except how would the total work done be expressed any differently if the question was, "what is the total work done by the charges?" I mean, whenever we ask what the total work is done by two charges, don't we always mean the field anyway? So I guess I don't understand the distinction of saying it's the work done by the field and not the charges when the force is always due to whatever the field is anyway. Can't I think of it this way: If I have two equally charged particles and place them near each other on the x axis, they will repel each other with one charge going to the right and one going to the left. Since work is ## \mathbf{F} \cdot d \mathbf{l} ## and the forces and displacements are opposite, I will get positive work done on each charge and therefore a nonzero value for the total work done. Perhaps this is what you were actually getting at?

Last edited:
kmm said:
So I guess I don't understand the distinction of saying it's the work done by the field and not the charges when the force is always due to whatever the field is anyway.
Work is the transfer of energy other than by heat. You have complete freedom to decide what "the system" is. Once you make that choice it determines what work is since it determines what counts as a transfer and what is just an internal rearrangement.

If you choose that the system is just the charges then the system is acted on by the field and work is done as energy is transferred from the fields to the charges.

If you choose that the system is the charges and the fields then no energy is transferred since the system is not acted on by anything external.

The only time that confusion arises is if you are inconsistent and define the system as the charges only for determining work and as the charges plus the fields for determining if it there is anything external to the system. You can make either choice as long as you are consistent.

Likes kmm
I see, so my problem was that I thought of the system as just the charges at first, but then I was inconsistent by trying to include the field as part of the system at the end of the problem to give zero total work. Thanks for helping me with that.

No worries. It is hard to do with something as "nebulous" as fields. Glad I could help.

Related to Work Done on a System of Charges

1. What is work done on a system of charges?

Work done on a system of charges refers to the energy transferred when moving a charge from one position to another within a charged system. This energy transfer can occur through the application of an external force or through the interaction between the charges within the system.

2. How is work done on a system of charges calculated?

Work done on a system of charges is calculated by multiplying the charge being moved by the potential difference between the initial and final positions. This can be represented by the equation W = qΔV, where W is the work done, q is the charge, and ΔV is the potential difference.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done on a system of charges?

The unit of measurement for work done on a system of charges is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy, such as mechanical or thermal energy.

4. Can work done on a system of charges be both positive and negative?

Yes, work done on a system of charges can be both positive and negative. When the force applied to the charge is in the same direction as the displacement, the work done is positive. However, if the force is in the opposite direction, the work done is negative.

5. How does the distance between charges affect the work done on a system of charges?

The distance between charges has a direct effect on the work done on a system of charges. As the distance between charges increases, the work done decreases. This is because the force between the charges decreases with distance, resulting in less energy transfer when moving the charges.