Work Done on a system by an external force

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a worker pushing a 26kg block across a level floor at a constant speed. The problem asks for the work done by the worker's force and the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system. The conversation also includes equations for calculating the normal force and thermal energy, but the person is having trouble with the calculations. They are advised to consider the implications of the constant speed and to use the worker's applied force in their calculations.
harpua09

Homework Statement

A worker pushed a 26kg block 13m across a level floor at a constant speed, with a force directed 40 degrees below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and floor is 0.40, what were a.) the work done by the workers force? and b.) the increase in thermal energy of the block floor system?

Homework Equations

F(friction) = coefficient of friction x normal force

E(thermal) = F(friction) x d

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck with being able to calculate the normal force on the block without knowing the magnitude of the applied force. I Know that that F(normal) = F(gravity) *m*a*cos(o)
I think that
F(friction) = -F(applied) ,
but i am not sure what to do with this. Does something cancel?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
harpua09 said:
A worker pushed a 26kg block 13m across a level floor at a constant speed, with a [...]
That phrase "constant speed" turns out to be very important. What does "constant speed" imply about the block's acceleration? After realizing the implications of that, and with a couple basic laws, you'll have enough information to solve for the normal force, then the frictional force, then the rest.
I am stuck with being able to calculate the normal force on the block without knowing the magnitude of the applied force. I Know that that F(normal) = F(gravity) *m*a*cos(o)
Umm, :rolleyes: something isn't quite right regarding your "m*a*cos(o)" term. I'm not sure where you got that. The normal force has something to do with the worker's applied force. Why not use that?
I think that
F(friction) = -F(applied) ,
but i am not sure what to do with this. Does something cancel?
Your above equation is only correct if you are limiting the "F(applied)" to the component of the overall applied force that is parallel to the force of friction, and it is only correct if nothing is accelerating. But don't despair, you're on the right track! :wink:

Related to Work Done on a system by an external force

What is work done on a system by an external force?

Work done on a system by an external force refers to the physical process of transferring energy to a system from an external source. This energy transfer can cause changes in the system, such as motion or changes in temperature.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the system by the distance over which the force is applied. In mathematical terms, work = force x distance. The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

What is the difference between positive and negative work?

Positive work occurs when the force applied to the system is in the same direction as the displacement of the system. This means that energy is being transferred to the system. Negative work occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement, meaning energy is being taken away from the system.

Can work done on a system be negative?

Yes, work done on a system can be negative. This can happen when the force applied to the system is opposite to the direction of its displacement, resulting in a decrease in the system's energy.

How is work done on a system related to the system's kinetic energy?

The work done on a system is directly related to its change in kinetic energy. This is known as the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on a system is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that system. This means that if work is done on a system, its kinetic energy will increase, and if work is done by a system, its kinetic energy will decrease.