Work done on a block on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a block of weight mg on an inclined plane with a force F being applied to pull it up at constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as Mu. The total work done on the block can be calculated using the equation W=FDcos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the direction of travel. In this case, since the force and direction of travel are parallel, theta is 0 and the answer simplifies to FL.
mariners02
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A block of weight mg sits on an inclined plane as shown. A force of magnitude F is applied to pull the block up the incline at constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the plane and the block is Mu.
What is the total work done on the block by the applied force as the block moves a distance up the incline?
Express your answer in terms of any or all of the variables Mu, m, g, theta, L and F
2zxxik1.jpg

Homework Equations

W=FDcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like since W=FDcos(theta) the answer would simply be FLcos(theta) but its telling me that is wrong, can anyone give me an idea of what I'm missing. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mariners02 said:
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A block of weight mg sits on an inclined plane as shown. A force of magnitude F is applied to pull the block up the incline at constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the plane and the block is Mu.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like since W=FDcos(theta) the answer would simply be FLcos(theta) but its telling me that is wrong, can anyone give me an idea of what I'm missing. Thanks!

You are missing the part I put in bold

The answer is FL. Who cares what's opposing the force.

FL was right, thanks adrianmay, why wouldn't it be FLcos(theta)?

Theta is not the angle of the incline it is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of travel. Since the force and direction of travel are parallel the angle between them is 0. Cos[0] = 1 therefore W=FLcos[0] equals FL

Exactly. Just look at the force and the direction it's moving. The rest is irrelevant.

Related to Work done on a block on an inclined plane

1. What is work done on a block on an inclined plane?

Work done on a block on an inclined plane is the amount of energy transferred to the block as it moves up or down the plane. It is a measure of the force applied to the block over a certain distance.

2. How is work done calculated on a block on an inclined plane?

The work done on a block on an inclined plane can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the block by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.

3. Does the angle of the inclined plane affect the work done on the block?

Yes, the angle of the inclined plane does affect the work done on the block. The steeper the angle, the more work is done on the block as it moves up or down the plane.

4. What is the relationship between work done and the mass of the block on an inclined plane?

The work done on a block on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the mass of the block. This means that as the mass of the block increases, the work done also increases.

5. Can the work done on a block on an inclined plane be negative?

Yes, the work done on a block on an inclined plane can be negative. This happens when the force applied to the block is in the opposite direction of the motion of the block, causing the block to lose energy as it moves down the plane.