Work done negative and positive

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done by friction and how it relates to the transfer of kinetic energy and internal energy. While some may view the friction force as doing negative work, it is important to note that the energy lost by the object appears both as internal energy outside and inside the object. Therefore, some introductory physics textbooks do not consider friction as a force that does work in order to maintain consistency with the thermodynamic definition of work.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I was just wondering whether the following notes I took on work in physics are accurate? Or have I got my understanding wrong?
Note on friction

Following from the example of the dragging object above…

The object stops because it loses kinetic energy due to friction.

How does the friction force do work?

Ok, so I push an object, then let go; I have transferred kinetic energy to it.

Now it moves a certain distance in a direction opposite to friction force acting on it.

So, in W=Fd, F will have a negative sign as it is in the opposite direction; the magnitude of F is the magnitude of the friction force.

Hence, energy transferred will come out with a negative sign.

What does that mean?

The W=Fd formula tells you that if you move something with a force, you are transferring some energy INTO THAT OBJECTàthe fact that W is negative here is because the point of application of force is losing energy; the kinetic energy of the object is being transferred out as heat energy (primarily), BECAUSE THE FORCE IS ACTING OPPOSITE TO THE DIRECTION OF MOVEMENT.

If W has a positive sign, that means we are transferring energy INTO the object the force is acting on to make it move; if W is negative, energy is being transferred out.

Thanks; your help would be much appreciated! :)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Attachments

• friction.png
    friction.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have described is how I look at it: positive (negative) work occurs where kinetic energy is transferred to (from) the object.

andrewkirk said:
What you have described is how I look at it: positive (negative) work occurs where kinetic energy is transferred to (from) the object.
Thank you! :)

MBBphys said:
the kinetic energy of the object is being transferred out as heat energy (primarily), BECAUSE THE FORCE IS ACTING OPPOSITE TO THE DIRECTION OF MOVEMENT.

If you want to treat the friction force as a force that does negative work and thus decreases the kinetic energy of an object, that is fine as far as that goes. But saying that the energy is transferred out of the object as heat energy is a problem. The fact is, some of the kinetic energy lost by the object does appear as internal energy outside the object, but some of it appears as internal energy inside the object. That is, an increase in temperature of both the object and its surroundings is observed.

These increases in internal energy are associated with increases in temperature, but they are not associated with a transfer of heat energy.

This is the reason that some introductory physics textbooks do not speak of work done by friction. They are trying to develop a dynamical definition of work that's consistent with the thermodynamic definition. If you describe situations where kinetic energy is dissipated as work done by friction you cannot have a definition of work that generalizes to work done in thermodynamic processes.

Related to Work done negative and positive

1. What is the meaning of "work done negative and positive" in science?

Work done refers to the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it moves a certain distance in the direction of the force. Negative work means that the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, while positive work means they are in the same direction.

2. How is work done negative and positive calculated?

To calculate work done, you can use the formula W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work done, F is the force applied, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement. If θ is 0 or 180 degrees, the work done is positive, while if θ is 90 or 270 degrees, the work done is negative.

3. What are some examples of work done being negative and positive?

Examples of negative work include lowering an object down a ramp, as the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement. Examples of positive work include pushing a box up a ramp, as the force applied and displacement are in the same direction.

4. Can work done be both negative and positive in the same scenario?

Yes, work done can be both negative and positive in the same scenario. For example, if you push a box up a ramp, the work done by your force is positive, but the work done by the force of gravity is negative as it acts in the opposite direction.

5. How does work done being negative or positive affect the energy of an object?

The sign of the work done does not affect the energy of an object. Work done only transfers energy from one form to another, but the total energy remains the same. However, if there is more positive work done than negative work done, the object will gain energy, and if there is more negative work done than positive work done, the object will lose energy.