Work done in rotating a current carrying loop

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done to increase the spacing between a wire and a loop from a to 2a. The solution involves calculating potential energies and determining the work done by a conservative field, with a slight discrepancy between the book's method and the standard definition. The conversation also briefly touches on the conservative nature of magnetic fields.
zorro

Homework Statement

The arrangement is as shown in the figure.
Find the work done to increase the spacing between the wire and the loop from a to 2a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the potential energies in initial and final configurations using U=-M.B (all vectors)

I got
ac{\mu}{4\Pi&space;}2i_{1}i_{2}L\ln\left&space;(&space;\frac{2a+b}{2a}&space;\right&space;).gif

I have a problem finding out the work done from this.
Work done by a conservative field is defined as the negative of Uf - Ui .
But my book just uses W.D. = Uf - Ui without any negation.
Where is my mistake?

Attachments

• mf.jpg
    mf.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you calculated Ui and Uf correctly :wink:

First, I don't think magnetic field is conservative field. But for the interaction between an external B-field and a magnetic dipole in particular, it happens to be "conservative" in a way that the force on the dipole is: [tex]\vec{F}_B=grad(\vec{m}.\vec{B})[/tex]. It's kind of contradictory, and I have no explanation. Perhaps it is consistent with its twin - electric dipole - whereas the force on electric dipole inside an E-field is [tex]\vec{F}_E=grad(\vec{p}.\vec{E})[/tex], which shows the unification and relativity of B-field and E-field. But I'm no expert.

Back to your main problem. Let's take an analogous example from gravitational field. When you lift a book from height h1 to height h2, the work done by gravity is mg(h1-h2) or Ui - Uf, and the work done by you to lift it is mg(h2-h1) or Uf-Ui. So you see the difference? The expense of the field itself is always Ui-Uf, while what you give to / take from the field in compensation is Uf - Ui. The sum of those two is zero, and the law of energy conservation is safe.

grrrrr...I solve big problems and forget small things :redface:. Yes you are right, since we are doing work to increase the spacing, it should be Uf - Ui.

Regarding conservative nature of magnetic fields, here in this case the current forms a closed loop. Hence the field is conservative ( even if its non-uniform )

Not really. The magnetic field is always non-conservative. The potential energy U you calculate is, in fact, the energy of interaction between external B-field and the loop, while the total energy of B-field of the system = energy of the loop + energy of the external B-field + U. That a field is non-uniform has nothing to do with whether it is conservative or not.
Anyway, I'm no expert, so I don't have an explanation on this for you.

Related to Work done in rotating a current carrying loop

1. What is the concept of "work done" in rotating a current carrying loop?

The concept of work done in rotating a current carrying loop refers to the amount of energy required to rotate the loop in a magnetic field. This energy is needed to overcome the magnetic torque acting on the loop.

2. How is the work done calculated in rotating a current carrying loop?

The work done in rotating a current carrying loop is calculated by multiplying the magnetic torque acting on the loop by the angle through which the loop is rotated. This can be expressed as W = τθ, where W is the work done, τ is the magnetic torque, and θ is the angle of rotation.

3. What factors affect the work done in rotating a current carrying loop?

The amount of work done in rotating a current carrying loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, and the size and shape of the loop. Generally, the greater the magnetic field and current, and the larger the loop, the more work is required to rotate it.

4. Is the work done in rotating a current carrying loop always positive?

No, the work done in rotating a current carrying loop can be both positive and negative. If the loop is rotated in the same direction as the magnetic field, the work done will be positive. However, if the loop is rotated in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.

5. How is the work done in rotating a current carrying loop useful in practical applications?

The concept of work done in rotating a current carrying loop is important in understanding and designing electric motors and generators. The rotation of the loop in a magnetic field is what creates the movement and energy conversion in these devices. It is also used in measuring the strength of magnetic fields and can be used to calculate the energy efficiency of rotating electrical systems.