Work Done in Moving a Point Charge

In summary, work done in moving a point charge is the energy transferred to or from the charge in an electric field. It is calculated by multiplying the charge's magnitude by the potential difference between two points. The unit of measurement is joules (J), and the direction of work is determined by the direction of the electric field. The work done is directly proportional to the potential difference and the magnitude of the charge.
Bizkit

Homework Statement

Given that the electric field in a certain region is E = (z+1)*sin(Φ)aρ + (z+1)*ρ*cos(Φ)aΦ + ρ*sin(Φ)az V/m, determine the work done in moving a 4 nC charge from (4,0,0) to (4,30°,0).

Homework Equations

W = -Q*int(E·dl)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I get:

W = -4*int((z+1)*ρ*cos(Φ)*ρ*dΦ from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -4*(z+1)*ρ²*int(cos(Φ) from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -4*(0+1)*4²*(sin(Φ) from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -64*(sin(30°) - sin(0)) nJ
W = -64*(.5 - 0) nJ
W = -32 nJ

The book, however, says the answer is -8 nJ. I get this answer when I leave off the ρ from the dl. This is how I think the answer in the book is found:

W = -4*int((z+1)*ρ*cos(Φ)*dΦ from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -4*(z+1)*ρ*int(cos(Φ) from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -4*(0+1)*4*(sin(Φ) from 0 to 30°) nJ
W = -16*(sin(30°) - sin(0)) nJ
W = -16*(.5 - 0) nJ
W = -8 nJ

My question is: Is my answer the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bizkit said:
My question is: Is my answer the correct answer?
Yes, I would say that your answer is correct.

I agree with Doc; your answer is correct.:approve:

Related to Work Done in Moving a Point Charge

What is the definition of work done in moving a point charge?

The work done in moving a point charge is the amount of energy transferred to or from the charge as it moves from one point to another in an electric field.

How is the work done in moving a point charge calculated?

The work done in moving a point charge is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the potential difference between the two points it moves between.

What is the unit of measurement for work done in moving a point charge?

The unit of measurement for work done in moving a point charge is joules (J), which is the same unit used to measure energy.

What direction is the work done in moving a point charge?

The direction of the work done in moving a point charge is determined by the direction of the electric field. If the electric field and the direction of movement are in the same direction, the work done is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done is negative.

How does the work done in moving a point charge relate to the electric potential difference?

The work done in moving a point charge is equal to the product of the charge and the electric potential difference. This means that the work done is directly proportional to the potential difference and the magnitude of the charge.