Work done in expansion of a bubble

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using the surface energy of a bubble but incorrectly. Dimensionally, the equation is wrong. Additionally, the student failed to account for the force exerted by the atmosphere on the bubble.
Vriska

Homework Statement

as title

Homework Equations

force exerted by atmosphere on bubble = 2(on account of dual layer) * 2pi*r*L(surface tension)
work is the integral of force *dx

The Attempt at a Solution

so we're looking at int ( 4pi*r*L *dr) but since not it 1 particle is traveling against atmospheric force rather a hole bunch in a bubble dr = 2pi*r*dr. (broke the dimensions :(, what else should i do?)
so now we have :
integral (8 pi^2*r^2*L*dr)

This is ofc the wrong answer. I want to do it this way instead of using the "surface energy". If i just used dr I'd be implying only one particle is moving against the atmosphere which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vriska said:
2pi*r*L
Dimensionally wrong. What have you forgotten?

haruspex said:
haruspex said:

L is force by length right?

Vriska said:
L is force by length right?
Sorry, I was thinking of surface energy, which is per unit area.

I did not follow the rest of your argument.
You found the force between two hemispheres. But you cannot integrate that wrt r to find work. That force is not parallel to dr. Think about the force on a small patch A of the bubble, and the work done in pushing A out by dr.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I was thinking of surface energy, which is per unit area.

I did not follow the rest of your argument.
You found the force between two hemispheres. But you cannot integrate that wrt r to find work. That force is not parallel to dr. Think about the force on a small patch A of the bubble, and the work done in pushing A out by dr.

Yeah the original one was wrong, I actually wanted to multiply it by 4pi*r^2 to get the total particles that do the same work but the force is not parallel!

okay now I have a small path dA, the force is difference in pressure times that. delta p :

= 2pi*r*L/pi*r^2 = 2L/r.

So my force on that dA = 2L/r *dA.

but dA = 8*pi*r dr (because dA/dr = 8pi*4)

so dF= 16piL dr.

Soo work done could be

int r * df =int 16piL*r dr now to R1 to R2 - 8piL(R2^2- R1^2)

This is wrong, right? like by a factor of 2?

Vriska said:
small path dA,
I deliberately wrote A, not dA.
Vriska said:
dA = 8*pi*r dr
No.
You have a force 2LA/r acting on A. What work is done on that as the bubble expands by dr?
What work is done on the whole surface as it expands by dr?

haruspex said:
I deliberately wrote A, not dA.

No.
You have a force 2LA/r acting on A. What work is done on that as the bubble expands by dr?
What work is done on the whole surface as it expands by dr?
?

but isn't A =4pi*r^2? dA = 8pi*r dr right?

okay if we have a force dF = 2AL/r dr? so for the entire thing that is 2*4pi *r L dr . 4 piL (R1^2 - R2^2). now I get it why surface energy is a thing, thanks!

Vriska said:
dF = 2AL/r dr?
No, the force F is 2AL/r. The work done on A is F.dr.
Vriska said:
2*4pi *r L dr
Yes.

haruspex said:
No, the force F is 2AL/r. The work done on A is F.dr.

Yes.

Hm, yep that was a slip, my bad.

Can you tell me what's wrong with the integral I did?

Vriska said:
what's wrong with the integral I did?
At the end of post #5?

haruspex said:
At the end of post #5?

nevermind I got it, thanks for the help!

Related to Work done in expansion of a bubble

1. What is work done in the expansion of a bubble?

Work done in the expansion of a bubble refers to the amount of energy required to increase the size of a bubble. This work is done against the surface tension of the liquid surrounding the bubble.

2. How is work done in the expansion of a bubble related to surface tension?

Work done in the expansion of a bubble is directly related to surface tension. As the bubble expands, the surface area of the bubble increases, which requires more energy to overcome the cohesive forces of the liquid. This results in an increase in work done.

3. Does the temperature of the liquid affect the work done in the expansion of a bubble?

Yes, the temperature of the liquid does affect the work done in the expansion of a bubble. As the temperature increases, the surface tension of the liquid decreases, making it easier for the bubble to expand. This means that less work is required to expand the bubble at higher temperatures.

4. How does the size of the bubble affect the work done in its expansion?

The size of the bubble has a direct effect on the work done in its expansion. A larger bubble requires more energy to expand than a smaller bubble because the surface area of the larger bubble is greater. This means that more work is needed to overcome the cohesive forces of the liquid and expand the bubble.

5. Can the work done in the expansion of a bubble be calculated?

Yes, the work done in the expansion of a bubble can be calculated using the equation W=2πrΔP, where W is the work done, r is the radius of the bubble, and ΔP is the change in pressure. This equation takes into account the surface tension and size of the bubble to calculate the work done in its expansion.