Work done in bringing a charge from infinite.

In summary, three charges (A, B, and C) are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle, with point P at the center and 8 cm from each charge. Charge A is +7 μC, charge B is +6 μC, and charge C is -10μC. When a 4μC charge is brought from infinite to point P, the work done in moving this charge is determined using the equation W=fd and Coulomb's law, F= Kq1q2/r2. The relationship between electric potential and potential energy, as well as the relationship between change in potential energy and work done, are also discussed.
Dodgers31296

Homework Statement

3 charges, A,B, and C are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. Point P is at the center of the triangle, and is 8 cm from each charge. Charge A is +7 μC. Charge B is +6 μC. Charge C is -10μC. If a 4μC charge is brought from infinite to point P, how much work was done in moving this charge to point p.

Homework Equations

W=fd
F= Kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you're supposed to use w=fd. And i can get the force with coulombs law, but i don't understand the charge being brought from infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dodgers31296 said:

Homework Statement

3 charges, A,B, and C are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. Point P is at the center of the triangle, and is 8 cm from each charge. Charge A is +7 μC. Charge B is +6 μC. Charge C is -10μC. If a 4μC charge is brought from infinite to point P, how much work was done in moving this charge to point p.

Homework Equations

W=fd
F= Kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you're supposed to use w=fd. And i can get the force with coulombs law, but i don't understand the charge being brought from infinite.
How is electric potential related to potential energy?

How is the change in potential energy related to work done?

Related to Work done in bringing a charge from infinite.

What is work done in bringing a charge from infinite?

Work done in bringing a charge from infinite is the amount of energy required to move a point charge from an infinite distance away to a specified point in an electric field.

How is the work done in bringing a charge from infinite calculated?

The work done in bringing a charge from infinite is calculated using the equation W=qV, where W is the work done, q is the charge, and V is the potential difference between the starting point (infinite) and the final point.

What is the SI unit of work done in bringing a charge from infinite?

The SI unit of work done in bringing a charge from infinite is joules (J).

Why is the work done in bringing a charge from infinite considered to be infinite?

The work done in bringing a charge from infinite is considered to be infinite because the distance between the starting point (infinite) and the final point is infinitely large, and therefore the potential difference (V) is also infinitely large. This results in an infinite amount of work required to move the charge to the final point.

What is the significance of work done in bringing a charge from infinite?

The work done in bringing a charge from infinite is a measure of the potential energy associated with the charge in an electric field. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charges in an electric field and is an important concept in electrostatics.