Work Done by Weight Homework: Find W

In summary, the problem involves a 700 kg crate on a rough surface inclined at 30° with a constant external force of 5600 N applied horizontally. The crate moves a distance of 3.0 m in 7.3 s, with a change in velocity from 1.4 m/s to 2.5 m/s. The work done by weight (or force P) is being asked, and to solve it, the equation W = Fd can be used. The work done by gravity on the box (ΔPE) needs to be calculated. There is also another part of the question which asks for the work done by the frictional force, and it can be found using an equation that relates conservation
Legerity

Homework Statement

A 700 kg crate is on a rough surface inclined at 30°. A constant external force P = 5600 N is applied horizontally to the crate. The force pushes the crate a distance of 3.0 m up the incline, in a time interval of 7.3 s, and the velocity changes from v1 = 1.4 m/s to v2 = 2.5 m/s. What is the work done by weight?

75512f21-629f-400f-914b-f9f928f9ba49.png

Homework Equations

W = Fd, KE = 0.5mv^2, PE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the free-body diagram, but I am stumped on how to go about the problem. What is the work done by weight, and how can I find it? I don't exactly know what it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what they mean by 'work done by weight'. My guess is they meant the work done by the force P. (Cut and paste error from another question?)

haruspex said:
I don't know what they mean by 'work done by weight'. My guess is they meant the work done by the force P. (Cut and paste error from another question?)
I figured out the problem, and it is the work done by gravity on the box (ΔPE).

Legerity said:
I figured out the problem, and it is the work done by gravity on the box (ΔPE).
Really? So most of the information is irrelevant? (Or maybe there are more parts to the question?)

haruspex said:
Really? So most of the information is irrelevant? (Or maybe there are more parts to the question?)
Yes, there is another part of the question I am stuck on. It is now asking me to find the work done by the frictional force, and my attempts at the problem have been futile. The only things changed in the info in the original post is that now V2 = 2.3 m/s, and time = 8.3 s. Could you possibly help?

Last edited:
You'll have to use an equation that relates conservation of energy and the energy lost by friction: [itex]KE_{i}+PE_{i}+WE_{i}=KE_{f}+PE_{f}+WE_{f}[/itex]

Legerity said:
It is now asking me to find the work done by the frictional force,
You know the distance, so it remains to calculate the frictional force. What equations do you get from your free body diagram?

Legerity said:
I figured out the problem, and it is the work done by gravity on the box ( - ΔPE).
see important correction in red.

1. What is work done by weight?

Work done by weight is the measure of the amount of energy used to move an object against the force of gravity. It is calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the distance it has been moved in the direction of the force of gravity.

2. How is work done by weight different from work done by other forces?

Work done by weight is specific to the force of gravity, while work done by other forces involves calculating the energy used to move an object against a different force, such as friction or tension.

3. How can I calculate work done by weight?

To calculate work done by weight, you will need to know the weight of the object in Newtons and the distance it has been moved in the direction of the force of gravity. The formula is W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height or distance the object has been moved in meters.

4. Can work done by weight ever be negative?

Yes, work done by weight can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. This means that the object is losing potential energy as it moves, and the work done by weight is considered negative.

5. How is work done by weight related to potential energy?

Work done by weight is directly related to potential energy, as it is the measure of the energy used to move an object against the force of gravity. The potential energy of an object is equal to its weight multiplied by its height above a reference point, and this is the same as the work done by weight.