Work done by permanent magnets

In summary: When a magnet is placed in a liquid or a material with a higher μ-value than the surrounding liquid or material, the magnet will attract more of the material with a higher μ-value and will repel materials with a lower μ-value.
xareu
I recall that the energy stored in a magnetic field is half the volume integral of the dot product of magnetic field and flux density vectors (H and B). When you place a piece of iron near a magnet, it does a work by attracting it. If H is 0 (I think there is only the magnetic moment vector M and the flux density B), where does this energy come from?. Is not HxB always applicable?
If the answer is that it was stored when the magnet was "created", how is it "replenished" when the piece of iron is removed (since the magnet can attract pieces of iron again and again)?

Physics news on Phys.org
xareu said:
If H is 0 (I think there is only the magnetic moment vector M and the flux density B), where does this energy come from?
H = B/μ , so if B>0 and H=0, μ must be infinit.
A magnet will always attrack the material/liquid that has the greatest μ-value surrounding it, and will repel the materials/liquids with lower μ-value.

So say that you submerge a magnet in a liquid containing iron particles, and that the liquid has the greatest μ-value, the magnet will repel the iron particles and will substitute the left volume by liquid, hence doing work to the liquid instead.

Yes, I do know that the magnet does a work. Here is where my question comes from: where does this work (energy) come from?

xareu said:
Here is where my question comes from: where does this work (energy) come from?
Say you have a magnet in vacuum/air and that within a small volume close to a pole,
there is a magnetic energy density = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ].
Closing up a piece of iron ( with the same small volume ), the B-field will be almost the same, but the H-field will be weakened within said volume, because now the μ0 permeability is substituded by a μ = μ0r permeability ( H = B/μ , μr > 1 ).

Hence the said volume loose magnetic energy density, and this lost energy will be converted to mechanical energy.

Understood, thanks a lot Hesch

Related to Work done by permanent magnets

1. What is the definition of work done by permanent magnets?

The work done by permanent magnets refers to the energy required to move an object against the force of a magnetic field created by permanent magnets. This work is usually measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done by permanent magnets different from other types of work?

Work done by permanent magnets is unique in that it is a result of the magnetic force between the magnets and the object being moved, rather than a physical force like pushing or pulling. It also does not require direct contact between the magnets and the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by permanent magnets?

The amount of work done by permanent magnets depends on the strength of the magnets, the distance between the magnets and the object, and the angle at which the object is moved relative to the magnetic field.

4. How is work done by permanent magnets used in everyday life?

Work done by permanent magnets is used in various everyday applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and in medical equipment like MRI machines.

5. Can work done by permanent magnets be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, work done by permanent magnets can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy in a generator. This is due to the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can induce an electrical current in a conductor.