Work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient?

In summary, a person applied 45 N of force to a 10 kg box, causing it to accelerate at 2 m/s^2 and travel 8 meters. The work done by the applied force was 360 J. To solve for the work done by kinetic friction, the coefficient of friction is needed. Using the equations Wfk = -(Fk)(s) and F = ma, the value of Fk is found to be 25 N, resulting in a work done by kinetic friction of -200 J. This value does not fit in with the previously found values of 360 J and 160 J. With further analysis, it is determined that the coefficient of friction can be found by subtracting 160 J from
Jessica Sweet

Homework Statement

A person pulls a box (m=10 kg) horizontally with +2m/s2 acceleration by applying 45 N force. The displacement of the box is 8 meters from initial position.
a) How much work is done by applied force?
b) How much work is done by kinetic frictional force?

Homework Equations

Wf = Fcosθs
F=ma
Wfk = -Fks ?
Fk = μN ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for part a, which was 360J.
I don't know how to solve for part b, which it seems like I would need the friction coefficient?
I tried Wfk = -(10)(2)(8) = -160 J, but that is incorrect.
How do I find Fk to solve for the work done by friction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer this question: How much of the applied force is used to accelerate the box?

Um, 45 N of force was applied to it. Would force of kinetic friction be -45 N then? Or am I just getting myself confused?

Jack has a point.
Yes, you applied 45 N,
but apparently that's not the force used to accelerate the box since its mass is 10 Kg and its accelerations is 2 m / s / s. The net force is what you should be looking at. Rethink. :):)

Last edited:
[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]
[tex]F_{total} - F_{friction} = ma[/tex]

Write Newton's second law for the box.

Alright, so Ftotal = 45 N, I am looking for frictional force, and ma = 20.
45-Ffk = 20
Ffk=25
Then I have Wfk = -(25)(8) = -200 J?
Is this the correct answer?

Look again at your OP and you already found 360 J and 160 J. How does your 200 J fits in there?

Just for the fun of it, can you find the coefficient of friction?

Are you saying I could have subtracted the 160 from 360? What value does the 160 J represent that I solved for? Gosh, I feel stupid.

Never mind, I got it all covered. My brain is working again. It's amazing what stress can do to the brain. Thanks for the help everybody.

Related to Work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient?

What is work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient?

The work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient refers to the amount of energy expended by an object due to the resistance of a surface it is sliding on, without taking into account the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces.

How is work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient calculated?

The work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the friction force by the distance the object slides along the surface.

What factors affect the work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient?

The work done by kinetic friction force without coefficient is affected by the magnitude of the friction force, the distance the object slides, and the nature of the surface the object is sliding on.

Why is the coefficient of friction not considered in calculating work done by kinetic friction force?

The coefficient of friction is not considered in calculating work done by kinetic friction force because it is a measure of the ratio between the friction force and the normal force, and does not directly affect the energy expended by the object.

What is the difference between kinetic friction force with and without coefficient?

The main difference between kinetic friction force with and without coefficient is that the former takes into account the nature and roughness of the two surfaces in contact, while the latter only considers the magnitude of the friction force and the distance the object slides.