Work done by gravity to fill truncated cone.

In summary: Then you can substitute x(y) into the integral.In summary, the work done by gravity while filling a truncated cone with sand can be expressed as the integral of \rho \pi x^2\,gy \,dy from 0 to H, where x is a function of y. This can be easily evaluated without needing to use cylindrical coordinates.
Dr.Brain
Ok i need to calculate the work done by gravity , while filling a truncated cone of bottom radius R and upper radius r (R>r) and height H , with sand of density 'd' , if we start filling the cone from bottom..

What i did was , I considered a disc of radius 'x' as a part of the cone and with thickness 'dy' , this dy is not vertical but slanting as per the contour of the cone , so the force on this disc would be 'd(pie)(x^2)(dy)g' and the total height to be raised against gravity is H //

So i guess work done should be : (d)(pie)(x^2)(dy)g .H , now because dy is slanting and not vertical ,should I integrate this expression from 0 to the 'total slanting height of the cone' ? ..hwo shud i integrate ..??

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest using cylindrical coordinates for your integration.

any reference website , for using cylindrical coordinates...its been a long time i used them//?

You could also use basic trigonometric functions to make the integration simpler( use the semi vertical angle).

Ok i used the cylindrical coordinates ... The work done would be

/dW = / g.dm.z (because z is the distance to be transversed in vertical direction while filling the sand)

then dm = d.dV where d is the density of the sand

in cylindrical coordinates:

/dV = / r dr dO dz

i integrated dr from R to r
and dz from 0 to H ...

I got the wrong answer..

Limits!

For a given z, what are the correct limits for the integration over the radial variable?, Not r nor R.

I think limits for z would be 0 to H

Dr.Brain said:
Ok i need to calculate the work done by gravity , while filling a truncated cone of bottom radius R and upper radius r (R>r) and height H , with sand of density 'd' , if we start filling the cone from bottom..

What i did was , I considered a disc of radius 'x' as a part of the cone and with thickness 'dy' , this dy is not vertical but slanting as per the contour of the cone , so the force on this disc would be 'd(pie)(x^2)(dy)g' and the total height to be raised against gravity is H //

So i guess work done should be : (d)(pie)(x^2)(dy)g .H , now because dy is slanting and not vertical ,should I integrate this expression from 0 to the 'total slanting height of the cone' ? ..hwo shud i integrate ..??
While the edges of your discs are slanted, that does not mean "dy" is slanted. Since the discs are infinitesimally thin, the slant of the edges is irrelevant: The volume of each disc is still [itex]\pi x^2 dy[/itex].

Now consider that each disc is raised by a height of "y", not H, so your integral becomes:
[tex]\int_0^H \rho \pi x^2\,gy \,dy[/tex]

Evaluating this is easy. First find an equation expressing x as a function of y. (No need for cylindrical coordinates.)

Related to Work done by gravity to fill truncated cone.

1. What is meant by "work done by gravity"?

"Work done by gravity" refers to the amount of energy expended by the force of gravity in moving an object from one position to another. In the context of filling a truncated cone, it refers to the force of gravity pulling a liquid or substance downwards as it is poured into the cone.

2. How is the work done by gravity calculated in a truncated cone?

The work done by gravity in a truncated cone can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W represents work, m represents the mass of the substance being poured, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and h represents the height of the cone.

3. What factors affect the work done by gravity in filling a truncated cone?

The work done by gravity in filling a truncated cone is affected by the mass of the substance being poured, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the cone. It may also be influenced by factors such as the viscosity of the substance and any external forces acting on the cone.

4. How does the angle of the truncated cone affect the work done by gravity?

The angle of the truncated cone can affect the work done by gravity in two main ways. Firstly, a steeper angle may result in a greater height, which would increase the work done by gravity. Secondly, the shape of the cone can affect the distribution of the substance and therefore impact the amount of work done by gravity.

5. Why is understanding the work done by gravity in filling a truncated cone important?

Understanding the work done by gravity in filling a truncated cone is important in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics and engineering. It can help predict the behavior of substances in different situations and inform the design of structures and equipment. It also plays a crucial role in everyday tasks, such as pouring liquids or filling containers, as it affects the amount of force and energy required to complete these actions.