Work Done by Gravity: Formula & Considerations

In summary, when considering air resistance, the net work done is not the same as the work done by gravity alone. The force due to gravity remains constant, but the distance fallen and the work done by air resistance must also be taken into account. This concept of work can be more accurately calculated using Newton's Laws of Gravitation, rather than the simplified formula W=F*S. Additionally, work is not simply F*S, as other factors such as air resistance must also be considered.
alingy1
Let's say a ball falls from a height of 20m from the ground. g=9,8m/s^2. m=3kg.
Consider resistance of air in a qualitative way.

What's the formula for the work done by gravity?

So, I just thought about this question. I wonder if W=F*s should be applied. Does gravity still do 588J of work? Or should we take into account that F is smaller because of air friction? All this concept of work is very new to me and I googled for similar questions but couldn't find any web page alluding to my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If considering air resistance, then the net work is not the same as the work done by gravity, which is the same regardless of air resistance.

Your notion of W=F*S works if you treat gravity as an approximately constant force, but that approximation becomes poor as S gets larger. This all comes from the fact that the gravitational force on Earth or any other planet is actually given by Newton's Laws of Gravitation, which creates a more difficult work calculation.

You should also note that work is not simply F*S.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics )

Last edited by a moderator:
alingy1 said:
Let's say a ball falls from a height of 20m from the ground. g=9,8m/s^2. m=3kg.
Consider resistance of air in a qualitative way.

What's the formula for the work done by gravity?

So, I just thought about this question. I wonder if W=F*s should be applied. Does gravity still do 588J of work? Or should we take into account that F is smaller because of air friction? All this concept of work is very new to me and I googled for similar questions but couldn't find any web page alluding to my problem.

The force due to gravity is the same, the distance fallen is the same, so the Work done by gravity should still be the same.
HOWEVER: the resistance of air will be doing some work too.

Okay, so, the total work done (not only by g) will be smaller than the work that should have been done without air. The air does negative work and g, the same work.

alingy1 said:
Okay, so, the total work done (not only by g) will be smaller than the work that should have been done without air. The air does negative work and g, the same work.

Correct. It is similar to pushing a box with friction opposing the push. You do work with your own force F_p as you move the block, while the ground also does work in the OTHER direction (different signs) with the frictional force F_f doing work as the block moves.

Related to Work Done by Gravity: Formula & Considerations

What is the formula for calculating work done by gravity?

The formula for calculating work done by gravity is W = mgh, where W represents work, m represents the mass of an object, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and h represents the change in height of the object.

How does the direction of the force of gravity affect the work done?

The direction of the force of gravity does not affect the work done. Work is calculated based on the displacement of an object, not the direction of the force.

What are some factors to consider when calculating work done by gravity?

Some factors to consider when calculating work done by gravity include the mass of the object, the height of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also important to consider the direction and angle of the force of gravity in relation to the displacement of the object.

Can work done by gravity ever be negative?

Yes, work done by gravity can be negative if the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This usually occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, such as when an object is being lifted up.

How is work done by gravity related to potential energy?

Work done by gravity is directly related to potential energy. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, and work done by gravity is the measure of the energy transferred to or from an object as it changes position in a gravitational field. Therefore, the work done by gravity can be used to calculate the change in potential energy of an object.