Work done by friction on a hockey puck

I_Try_Math
Homework Statement
A hockey puck of mass 0.17 kg is shot across a rough floor with the roughness different at different places, which can be described by a position-dependent coefficient of kinetic friction. For a puck moving along the x-axis, the coefficient of kinetic friction is the following function of x, where x is in m: u(x) = 0.1 + 0.05x. Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force on the hockey puck when it has moved from x = 0 to x = 2
Relevant Equations
[math]W = \int_0^2 F(x) \, dx[/math]
The answer key claims the answer is -0.9 J.

By my math it should be -0.501 J, is that incorrect?
phys-forum-713.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I_Try_Math said:
Homework Statement: A hockey puck of mass 0.17 kg is shot across a rough floor with the roughness different at different places, which can be described by a position-dependent coefficient of kinetic friction. For a puck moving along the x-axis, the coefficient of kinetic friction is the following function of x, where x is in m: u(x) = 0.1 + 0.05x. Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force on the hockey puck when it has moved from x = 0 to x = 2
Relevant Equations: \(\displaystyle W = \int_0^2 F(x) \, dx\)

The answer key claims the answer is -0.9 J.

By my math it should be -0.501 J, is that incorrect?
View attachment 339633
You mean " by Wolfram Alpha's math" its ##-0.501 \rm{J}##. Wolframs math looks correct to me also...

Likes MatinSAR, Delta2 and I_Try_Math
erobz said:
You mean " by Wolfram Alpha's math" its ##-0.501 \rm{J}##. Wolframs math looks correct to me also...
Thanks, it's frustrating trying to learn when you can't check your work against the answer key.

Likes erobz
haruspex said:
I assume the "0.17kg" was a typo.
0.17x9.8=1.67!?!!

But yeah I got no clue how heavy is a hockey ball, hockey isn't popular here in Greece.

Likes I_Try_Math and haruspex
Delta2 said:
0.17x9.8=1.67!?!!

But yeah I got no clue how heavy is a hockey ball, hockey isn't popular here in Greece.
I had to look it up. Google "how heavy is a hockey puck".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_puck said:
Ice hockey requires a hard disk of vulcanized rubber. A standard ice hockey puck is black, 1 inch (25 mm) thick, 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter, and weighs between 5.5 and 6 ounces (156 and 170 g);[6] some pucks are heavier or lighter than standard (see below). Pucks are often marked with silkscreened team or league logos on one or both faces.[6] Pucks are frozen before the game to reduce bouncing during play.[6]
1706919186124.png

• Informative
Likes Delta2

Related to Work done by friction on a hockey puck

What is work done by friction on a hockey puck?

The work done by friction on a hockey puck refers to the energy that is expended due to the frictional force acting on the puck as it moves across the ice surface.

How is work done by friction calculated on a hockey puck?

The work done by friction on a hockey puck can be calculated by multiplying the frictional force acting on the puck by the distance over which the puck moves against the force of friction.

What factors affect the work done by friction on a hockey puck?

The factors that affect the work done by friction on a hockey puck include the coefficient of friction between the puck and the ice, the speed at which the puck is moving, and the surface area of contact between the puck and the ice.

Why is work done by friction important in hockey?

The work done by friction on a hockey puck is important because it affects the speed and direction of the puck as it moves across the ice surface, ultimately influencing the outcome of the game.

Can work done by friction be positive or negative on a hockey puck?

The work done by friction on a hockey puck can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction of the force of friction relative to the direction of motion of the puck. If the force of friction opposes the motion of the puck, the work done is negative; if it aids the motion, the work done is positive.