Work Done by Friction Force: A 4.0 kg Block

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of work done by a friction force on a 4.0 kg block that was dragged over a rough horizontal surface by a constant force of 20 N. The speed of the block increased from 3.0 m/s to 5.0 m/s in a displacement of 5.0 m, and the magnitude of the work done by the friction force was found to be 32 J. However, this answer was incorrect as it did not take into account the work done by the applied force, which must also be considered in the calculation.
IKonquer
A 4.0 kg block is dragged over a rough horizontal surface by a constant force of 20 N. The speed of the block increases from 3.0 m/s to 5.0 m/s in a displacement of 5.0 m. What is
the magnitude of the work done by the friction force during this displacement?

My work was the following:

Ei + W = Ef

(.5)(m)(3)^2 + W = (.5)(m)(5)^2

And as a result, I got W = 50 - 18 = 32 J.

I'm not sure why this answer is wrong. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated the energy that went into raising the speed from 3 to 5 m/s. But you haven't calculated the energy that was lost to friction.

Hint: How much work did the applied force do?

I see. I just didn't realize that I needed to account for the applied force.

Thanks again.

Related to Work Done by Friction Force: A 4.0 kg Block

1. How is work done by friction force calculated?

The work done by friction force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force of friction by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the displacement.

2. What factors affect the amount of work done by friction force?

The amount of work done by friction force is affected by the magnitude of the force of friction, the displacement of the object, and the angle between the force of friction and the direction of motion.

3. Is work done by friction force always negative?

In most cases, yes, work done by friction force is negative because it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that the object loses energy as it moves, resulting in a negative value for work done.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the work done by friction force?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the work done by friction force. However, a heavier object may experience a greater force of friction, resulting in a larger amount of work done.

5. Can work done by friction force be positive?

In some cases, work done by friction force can be positive. This occurs when the object is moving in the direction of the force of friction, such as when a car's brakes are applied and the wheels are rolling in the same direction as the force of friction.