Work done by expanding gasses on bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by the gas on a bullet as it travels through a rifle barrel. The force exerted by the expanding gas is given by a variable function of x and the work is calculated using the equation W = force * displacement. The conversation also mentions using integration to calculate work for variable forces.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A 95-g bullet is fired from a rifle having a barrel 0.540 m long. Choose the origin to be at the location where the bullet begins to move. Then the force (in Newtons) exerted by the expanding gas on the bullet is 16200 + 9400x - 23750x2, where x is in meters.
(a) Determine the work done by the gas on the bullet as the bullet travels the length of the barrel.

(b) If the barrel is 0.96 m long, how much work is done?

(c) How does this value compare with the work calculated in part (a)?(% difference)

Homework Equations

W = force * displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

after plugging in 0.54 in the force equation i got F = 14,350.5 N

then multiplied it by 0.54 to get work and got 7.75 kJ

same for the second part but i got both answers wrong, i thought it was a simple problem but i guess not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the force is a function of x. So, it is not a constant force. You need to know how to get the work done by a variable force.

so i basically need to do the integral F dot ds and then plug in the values?

bdh2991 said:
so i basically need to do the integral F dot ds and then plug in the values?

Yes, that's it.

I should have realized that to begin with but thank you for all the help!

Related to Work done by expanding gasses on bullet

1. What is the definition of "work done by expanding gases on bullet"?

The work done by expanding gases on a bullet is the force exerted by the expanding gases on the bullet as it travels down the barrel of a gun. This force is responsible for propelling the bullet forward.

2. How does the amount of work done by expanding gases on a bullet affect its velocity?

The amount of work done by expanding gases on a bullet directly affects its velocity. The more work done by the expanding gases, the greater the force on the bullet, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. What factors can impact the work done by expanding gases on a bullet?

Several factors can impact the work done by expanding gases on a bullet. These include the amount of gunpowder in the cartridge, the length of the barrel, the type of gunpowder used, and the pressure inside the barrel.

4. How does the work done by expanding gases on a bullet affect its accuracy?

The work done by expanding gases on a bullet has a significant impact on its accuracy. The more consistent and precise the work done, the more accurate the bullet's trajectory will be. This is why factors such as barrel length and pressure are crucial in determining a bullet's accuracy.

5. Is the work done by expanding gases on a bullet the only factor in determining its velocity and accuracy?

No, the work done by expanding gases on a bullet is not the only factor in determining its velocity and accuracy. Other factors, such as the weight and shape of the bullet, wind speed and direction, and the shooter's skill, can also play a role in these factors.