Work Done by Elevator Lifting Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the work done by the lifting mechanism of an elevator. The elevator starts from rest in the basement and rises to the fourth floor, with a distance of 25m. Its speed at the fourth floor is 3.0 m/s. The conversation mentions taking into account the forces of gravity and friction, as well as the acceleration of the elevator, in order to calculate the work done. The final answer is determined to be 0.5115MJ.
SS2006
A 2000kg elevator rises from rest in the basemtn to the fourth floor, a distance of 25m. As it passes the fourth floor, its speed is 3.0 m/s. There is a constant frictional force of 500N. Calculate the work done by the lifting mechanism.

I tried doing v2square = v1square + 2ad and i get 0.18 acceleration
plugged that into f=ma
to get force,
did force X distance + (friction X distance)
and I am not getting right answer
whcih is 0.5115MJ
any quick solutoins!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are taking into account all the forces acting on the elevator...you neglected the force of gravity, see the elevator needs to do work to surpass the force of gravity, the frictional force and to accelerate the elevator, can you go from there?

i tried what u just said, are you getting 0.5115 SPOT ON
im getting like 0.505 and 0.522

The answer is .5115 MJ
the equation in symbols should look something like this
[tex]F_g_r_a_v_i_t_y * d + F_f_r_i_c_t_i_o_n * d + F_a_c_c *d = .5115MJ[/tex]
where [tex] F_a_c_c[/tex] is the force exerted by the machinery to accelerate the elevator.

Last edited:

Related to Work Done by Elevator Lifting Mechanism

1. What is the definition of "Work Done by Elevator Lifting Mechanism"?

The work done by an elevator lifting mechanism refers to the amount of energy required to lift an elevator car and its passengers from one floor to another.

2. How is the work done by an elevator lifting mechanism calculated?

The work done by an elevator lifting mechanism is calculated by multiplying the force applied to lift the elevator by the distance it is lifted. This can be represented by the formula W = F x D, where W is work, F is force, and D is distance.

3. What factors can affect the work done by an elevator lifting mechanism?

The work done by an elevator lifting mechanism can be affected by the weight of the elevator car and its passengers, the height it needs to be lifted, the efficiency of the lifting mechanism, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the work done by an elevator lifting mechanism impact energy consumption?

The work done by an elevator lifting mechanism directly impacts the amount of energy consumed by the elevator. The more work that is required to lift the elevator, the more energy is needed, leading to higher energy consumption and costs.

5. What are some ways to reduce the work done by an elevator lifting mechanism?

One way to reduce the work done by an elevator lifting mechanism is by optimizing the weight of the elevator car and its passengers. Another way is to improve the efficiency of the lifting mechanism, such as using regenerative braking to capture and reuse energy. Additionally, implementing regular maintenance and upgrades can also help reduce the work done by the lifting mechanism.