Work done by electrostatic force

In summary, there is a typo in the answer and the electrostatic force does positive work, increasing the kinetic energy of the small sphere.

Homework Statement

A small, positively charged sphere is released from rest and moves directly away from a larger, positively charged sphere. During this process, the electrostatic force:

a) does positive work and increases the kinetic energy of the small sphere
b) does negative work and increases the kinetic energy of the small sphere

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

( + ) ----> (+)

So the electrostatic force is pushing the smaller charged force away. It looses potential energy and converts it into kinetic energy. Since W = (delta) (Kinetic energy) and kinetic energy increases, Ek > 0

Movement is also in the direction of the electric field (cos0) = 1 therefore it should be positive (as far as I know)

Work should be positive, the answer should be A)

However, the answer is B). Why?

It doesn't mathematically make sense to me. I've proven that W = change in kinetic energy.

However, when I conceptually think about it it makes sense that work is negative- because it's the same thing as a mass falling from a height- negative work is done on it.

Is this physics? Will it be full of exceptions and mathematical fallacies?

It seems like physics is turning more and more into a computer script

if case 1: do this algorithm
if case 2: do that algorithm

Is that it? Will I just have to just memorize these exceptions as I go along in physics, or is there another way of looking at it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x86 said:

Homework Statement

A small, positively charged sphere is released from rest and moves directly away from a larger, positively charged sphere. During this process, the electrostatic force:

a) does positive work and increases the kinetic energy of the small sphere
b) does negative work and increases the kinetic energy of the small sphere

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

( + ) ----> (+)

So the electrostatic force is pushing the smaller charged force away. It looses potential energy and converts it into kinetic energy. Since W = (delta) (Kinetic energy) and kinetic energy increases, Ek > 0

Movement is also in the direction of the electric field (cos0) = 1 therefore it should be positive (as far as I know)

Work should be positive, the answer should be A)

However, the answer is B). Why?

It doesn't mathematically make sense to me. I've proven that W = change in kinetic energy.

However, when I conceptually think about it it makes sense that work is negative- because it's the same thing as a mass falling from a height- negative work is done on it.

Is this physics? Will it be full of exceptions and mathematical fallacies?

It seems like physics is turning more and more into a computer script

if case 1: do this algorithm
if case 2: do that algorithm

Is that it? Will I just have to just memorize these exceptions as I go along in physics, or is there another way of looking at it?

No, I think you have the right way of looking at it. The force does positive work on the kinetic energy of the system. I think it's more likely to be a typo in the answer than any need to reevaluate your basic concepts.

Dick said:
No, I think you have the right way of looking at it. The force does positive work on the kinetic energy of the system. I think it's more likely to be a typo in the answer than any need to reevaluate your basic concepts.

Thank you for clearing my confusion

Related to Work done by electrostatic force

1. What is work done by electrostatic force?

Work done by electrostatic force refers to the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another. This force is created by the attraction or repulsion of electric charges and is responsible for many phenomena, such as lightning and the static cling of clothes.

2. How is work done by electrostatic force calculated?

The work done by electrostatic force can be calculated using the equation W = q * V, where q is the electric charge and V is the potential difference between the two points. This equation is derived from the basic formula for work, W = F * d, where F is the force and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by electrostatic force?

The amount of work done by electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the electric charge, the distance between the charges, and the medium through which the charges are moving. In addition, the work done can also be influenced by the presence of other electric or magnetic fields.

4. How is work done by electrostatic force related to electric potential energy?

Work done by electrostatic force is directly related to electric potential energy. As an electric charge moves against the direction of an electric field, it gains potential energy. The work done by the electrostatic force is equal to the change in potential energy, as given by the equation W = ΔU.

5. Can work done by electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, work done by electrostatic force can be negative. This occurs when the electric charge moves in the direction opposite to the electric field, resulting in a decrease in potential energy. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative, indicating that energy is being released rather than absorbed.