Work done by cord on the pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque, force, and work in a scenario involving a block on an inclined plane attached to a pulley. The formula used for torque is rF = I*aT/r, and the formula for force is F = 0.5*aT*m_p. The work done by the cord on the pulley is given by the formula W = F*d = 0.5*aT*m_p*d. However, the value for d is unknown due to a mistake in the given information. Upon further clarification, it is revealed that the distance the block slides down the incline is 50 cm.
annamal
Homework Statement
A 2-kg block on a frictionless inclined plane with an angle 40 degrees from the hoizontal. It has a cord attached to a pulley of mass 1 kg
and radius 20 cm. The acceleration of the block down the plane is 5 m/##s^2## (b) What is the work done by the cord on the pulley?
Relevant Equations
W = F*d
##W = \Delta(0.5*I*w^2)##
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 5.02.42 PM.png

torque = rF = I*aT/r
F = 0.5*aT*m_p
W = F (tension in rope)*d = 0.5*aT*m_p*d

Don't know because of unknown d

Physics news on Phys.org
annamal said:
Homework Statement:: A 2-kg block on a frictionless inclined plane with an angle 40 degrees from the hoizontal. It has a cord attached to a pulley of mass 1 kg
and radius 20 cm. The acceleration of the block down the plane is 5 m/##s^2## (b) What is the work done by the cord on the pulley?
Relevant Equations:: W = F*d
##W = \Delta(0.5*I*w^2)##

View attachment 299267
torque = rF = I*aT/r
F = 0.5*aT*m_p
W = F (tension in rope)*d = 0.5*aT*m_p*d

Don't know because of unknown d
Looks like you are asking about part (b) without having shown us part (a). Maybe d is given in part (a).

annamal said:
Don't know because of unknown d.
It's a mistake in the book. The distance the block slides down the incline is 50 cm.

Likes Lnewqban
kuruman said:
Looks like you are asking about part (b) without having shown us part (a). Maybe d is given in part (a).
I figured out part a.
Part a just says "What is the acceleration of the block down the plane?" which I gave as 5 m/##s^2##

vela said:
It's a mistake in the book. The distance the block slides down the incline is 50 cm.
I see that. I am submitting an errata to openstax.

Likes Lnewqban

Related to Work done by cord on the pulley

What is work done by cord on the pulley?

The work done by cord on the pulley is the amount of energy transferred from the cord to the pulley as a result of applying a force to the cord. This work is measured in joules (J).

How is the work done by cord on the pulley calculated?

The work done by cord on the pulley can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the cord by the distance the cord moves in the direction of the force. This is expressed by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What factors affect the work done by cord on the pulley?

The work done by cord on the pulley is affected by the magnitude of the force applied to the cord, the distance the cord moves, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. Other factors such as friction and the weight of the pulley may also impact the work done.

Is the work done by cord on the pulley always positive?

No, the work done by cord on the pulley can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the force and the direction of motion. If the force and the direction of motion are in the same direction, the work is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work is negative.

What is the relationship between the work done by cord on the pulley and the change in potential energy?

The work done by cord on the pulley is equal to the change in potential energy of the system. This means that if the cord is lifting an object, the work done by the cord on the pulley will result in an increase in potential energy of the object. Conversely, if the cord is lowering an object, the work done by the cord on the pulley will result in a decrease in potential energy of the object.