Work Done and Force and Newtons Third Law of Motion

In summary: Correct any of this if its wrong please!)In summary, when a car is moving, its engine is converting chemical energy into kinetic energy, allowing it to work against the force of friction. If the force of friction is 210 N and the engine exerts a pull force for 10 M, it will transfer 2100J of chemical energy from its fuel to kinetic energy, assuming no energy is lost in the process. Similarly, when skiing down a mountain, the gravitational potential energy is gradually converted into kinetic energy, while some of the kinetic energy is used to do work on the snow. When a car hits a wall, all of its kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms, such as heat. This is due to
Peter G.
When a car is moving, the engine is transferring Chemical Energy to Kinetic Energy. He is doing work against the force of friction. If the force of friction is 210 N and the engine exerts a pull force for 10 M it transferred 2100J of Chemical Energy from its fuel to Kinetic Energy, considering no energy is lost in the process

Similarly, I guess, when we are skiing down a mountain we gradually convert the GPE energy we had uphill into Kinetic Energy (but we are doing no work right?) and some of the Kinetic Energy is doing work to deplete the snow sideways. So some of the Kinetic Energy is being lost, used to exert a force (push?) on the snow over a distance.

(Correct any of this if its wrong please!)

So my doubt is, when a car is moving it has a lot of kinetic energy. When it hits the wall, it stops moving, thus, loses all of the kinetic energy. But energy can't be destroyed, it was converted into another form right? So when the car hits a wall it exerts a pushing force over a distance (Since it transferred energy, did work on the wall) and due to Newton's Third Law the same force it exerted on the wall, the wall exerts it back on him in the opposite and therefore damages the car.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Similarly, I guess, when we are skiing down a mountain we gradually convert the GPE energy we had uphill into Kinetic Energy (but we are doing no work right?)
The force of gravity is doing work on the skier, applying a downward force through the distance that the skier skis to accelerate the skier and/or to move snow around.
...some of the Kinetic Energy is doing work to deplete the snow sideways. So some of the Kinetic Energy is being lost, used to exert a force (push?) on the snow over a distance.
correct.
So my doubt is, when a car is moving it has a lot of kinetic energy. When it hits the wall, it stops moving, thus, loses all of the kinetic energy. But energy can't be destroyed, it was converted into another form right?
Correct. Mostly heat.

So when the car hits a wall it exerts a pushing force over a distance (Since it transferred energy, did work on the wall) and due to Newton's Third Law the same force it exerted on the wall, the wall exerts it back on him in the opposite and therefore damages the car.
If the wall is fixed to the ground, the car and the Earth pushes back on the car and virtually all the kinetic energy of the car is lost as heat. If the car hits a moveable barrier the barrier will carry away some of the car's kinetic energy.

AM

But sometimes energy is transformed into other forms without we having to do work, right? I think I tricked myself into believing that Energy transferred (work) is the same as converting energy into a different form: To check if I am right, I will give an example:

Using the example of lifting a book up to a shelf: First, chemical energy from food is CONVERTED into kinetic energy. Then, we use the kinetic energy of our muscles to do WORK push the book upwards, TRANSFERRING energy from kinetic to GPE, correct?

Thanks.

Peter G. said:
But sometimes energy is transformed into other forms without we having to do work, right? I think I tricked myself into believing that Energy transferred (work) is the same as converting energy into a different form: To check if I am right, I will give an example:

Using the example of lifting a book up to a shelf: First, chemical energy from food is CONVERTED into kinetic energy. Then, we use the kinetic energy of our muscles to do WORK push the book upwards, TRANSFERRING energy from kinetic to GPE, correct?
Better to stick to clear definitions. Energy is defined as the ability to do work. That does not mean "useful" mechanical work (as in a heat engine). Thermal energy, being the total kinetic energies of all the constituent molecules, may be considered as energy - capable of doing work - despite the fact that only a fraction of that energy may be converted into useful mechanical work.

Kinetic energy that is transformed into Gravitational Potential Energy certainly involves work. Work must be done to lift a mass m through a vertical distance h: W = mgh. The ability to perform that work may come from many types of energy: chemical energy in the muscles causing cells to contract against an opposing force is an example of chemical energy doing work. Those muscle contractions may be converted into kinetic energy of an object by throwing it, or into gravitational PE by lifting the object.

AM

for your question! You are correct in your understanding of work done and force in relation to Newton's Third Law of Motion. When a car is moving, the engine is converting chemical energy into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. This kinetic energy is then used to overcome the force of friction and move the car forward. In this process, some of the chemical energy is lost due to factors such as heat and sound.

Similarly, when skiing down a mountain, the potential energy from being at a higher point is converted into kinetic energy as the skier moves downhill. The skier is not doing any work in this case because the force of gravity is responsible for the movement, but some of the kinetic energy is used to overcome the force of friction and steer the skier.

When a car hits a wall, it does indeed lose all of its kinetic energy, which is converted into other forms such as sound and deformation of the car. This is due to the fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only converted from one form to another. In this case, the car exerts a force on the wall, which in turn exerts an equal and opposite force back on the car, causing it to come to a stop.

In summary, the concept of work done, force, and Newton's Third Law of Motion are all interconnected and play a crucial role in understanding the transfer and conversion of energy in various situations. I hope this helps clarify your doubts!

Related to Work Done and Force and Newtons Third Law of Motion

What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the energy transferred when a force acts on an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

What is the relationship between work done and force?

The relationship between work done and force is directly proportional. This means that as the force increases, the work done also increases.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal but opposite force on the first object.

How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to work done and force?

Newton's Third Law of Motion helps us understand that when a force is applied to an object, the object will also exert a force in the opposite direction. This means that the work done by the applied force is equal to the work done by the object in the opposite direction.

What are some examples of Newton's Third Law of Motion in action?

Some examples of Newton's Third Law of Motion include a person pushing against a wall, a rocket launching into space, and a person jumping off a diving board. In each of these scenarios, there is a force being applied in one direction, and an equal but opposite force being exerted in the other direction.