Work Conceptual: Brush Up Electrical Applications & Answers

In summary: However, in summary, it is important to understand the conceptual grasp of work and electrical applications in order to correctly interpret and solve problems involving work done by an external force and an electric field. The convention for electric field direction and the definition of work also play a crucial role in determining whether the work done is positive or negative.
dimpledur
I have found that I only need to brush up on my coceptual grasp of work and electrical applications. I have found that I am having negative answers when indeed the answer is positive. My question to you is, if I am following q(Vb-Va)=-W, I am assuming this is the work done by the field, and the work done by an external force (or mover) would be Wmover=-Wfield?

Physics news on Phys.org
dimpledur said:
I have found that I only need to brush up on my coceptual grasp of work and electrical applications. I have found that I am having negative answers when indeed the answer is positive. My question to you is, if I am following q(Vb-Va)=-W, I am assuming this is the work done by the field, and the work done by an external force (or mover) would be Wmover=-Wfield?
Whether W is positive or negative depends upon convention for field direction and what you mean by W. The convention is to have the direction of the electric field in the direction which a positive charge will naturally move. You can blame Benjamin Franklin for that.

If one defines the work required to move the charge as W, then W will be positive if the charge is positive and it moves against the direction of the electric field (ie. in the direction of increasing positive potential). If the charge is negative and the charge moves in the direction of the electric field (in the direction of decreasing positive potential which is increasingly negative potential), W also will be positive.

It is opposite (ie. W<0) if the directions of motion are reversed: If the charge is positive, then negative work is required to move the charge in the direction of the electric field (positive work is done to the charge by the field). If the charge is negative and it moves against the direction of the field, W is negative (work done on the charge).

AM

Related to Work Conceptual: Brush Up Electrical Applications & Answers

1. What is the work conceptual brush up electrical applications?

The work conceptual brush up electrical applications is a comprehensive guide designed to help individuals refresh their knowledge and skills in electrical applications. It covers topics such as circuit analysis, electrical measurements, and power systems.

2. Who can benefit from this guide?

This guide is beneficial for anyone who works with electrical applications, such as engineers, technicians, and students. It can also be useful for individuals looking to improve their understanding of electrical concepts.

3. What makes this guide different from other resources?

This guide focuses on the conceptual understanding of electrical applications rather than just providing formulas and equations. It also includes practice questions and answers to help individuals apply their knowledge.

4. Is the guide suitable for beginners?

Yes, the guide is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. It also includes explanations and examples to help individuals understand the concepts better.

5. Can this guide be used for self-study?

Yes, this guide can be used for self-study. It is designed to be self-paced, and the practice questions and answers allow individuals to test their understanding and track their progress.