Work Bicycle Problem: Calculate Work Done in Each Stroke

In summary: So work is done regardless of the direction of the torque. In summary, a cyclist exerts 500N of downward force on each pedal stroke while pedaling uphill. The work done in each stroke is Force*Diameter.
timficker

Homework Statement

In pedaling a bicycle uphill, a cyclist exerts a downward force of 500N during each stroke. If the diameter of the circle traced by each pedal is 38cm, calculate how much work is done in each stroke.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss, I thought that I could multiply the F * circumference but that didn't work. I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi timficker, welcome to PF. Think "torque" and "work done by a torque". What are the relevant equations?

Well, I figured it out finally. We haven't come to torque yet, in a couple weeks. Although I got the answer it was only due to guessing. I don't really understand how it could be true.

But the answer came from F*diameter. I don't know how this could be because I thought the work was the force times the distance traveled which in this case would be the circumference.

Thanks for your help.

timficker said:
Well, I figured it out finally. We haven't come to torque yet, in a couple weeks. Although I got the answer it was only due to guessing. I don't really understand how it could be true.

But the answer came from F*diameter. I don't know how this could be because I thought the work was the force times the distance traveled which in this case would be the circumference.

Thanks for your help.
The result can be derived quite easily if you knew about torques. Since you don't, here is a different way to look at it. Work is done when you push down on the pedal, i.e. during the downward stroke only. The displacement is the diameter and the force is F down in the same direction as the displacement. Therefore the work done is Force*Diameter.

Don't forget that it is only the component of the force parallel to the displacement that does work and in this case the force is always down.

Related to Work Bicycle Problem: Calculate Work Done in Each Stroke

1. What is the "work bicycle problem"?

The "work bicycle problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work done in each stroke of a bicycle pedal. This problem is commonly used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the concept of work and how it is related to force and distance.

2. How do you calculate the work done in each stroke?

To calculate the work done in each stroke, you need to know the force applied to the pedal, the distance that the pedal moves, and the angle at which the force is applied. You can then use the formula W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. What units are used to measure work?

The SI unit for work is the joule (J). However, other units such as the calorie (cal) or the kilowatt-hour (kWh) may also be used in certain contexts. It is important to use the correct units when calculating and reporting work.

4. How does the work done in each stroke affect the motion of the bicycle?

The work done in each stroke contributes to the overall kinetic energy of the bicycle. As more work is done, the bicycle will gain more kinetic energy and its speed will increase. Conversely, if less work is done, the bicycle will have less kinetic energy and its speed will decrease.

5. What factors can affect the work done in each stroke?

The amount of work done in each stroke can be affected by the force applied, the distance that the pedal moves, and the angle at which the force is applied. Other factors such as the weight of the cyclist, the terrain, and the condition of the bicycle can also affect the work done in each stroke.