Work and Internal Energy for Adiabatic Processes

In summary, for an adiabatic expansion, the work done by the gas is positive and the change in internal energy is negative, while for an adiabatic compression, the work done on the gas is negative and the change in internal energy is positive. This is because the internal energy of an ideal gas increases with increasing temperature, and in an adiabatic process, work done on the gas results in an increase in temperature and internal energy.
JC2000
Homework Statement
In an adiabatic expansion, a gas does 25J of work while in an adiabatic compression, 100 J of work **is done on** the gas. Find the change in internal energy for the processes.
Relevant Equations
## dQ = dU + dW ## (where dW is the work done by the gas) ... (1)
## dQ = 0## for adiabatic processes. ... (2)
## W = \frac {nR(T_1 - T_2)}{\gamma -1}## (not required but relates to my question)... (3)
Using (2) on (1) give ## dU = -dW##... (4)
A.For expansion since the gas goes from ##(P_1, V_1, T_1)## to ##(P_2, V_2, T_2)##, does this imply ##T_1 \leq T_2 ##?
B. If so, then ##W## for adiabatic expansion would be negative (using (3))? Using negative ##dW## in (4) gives us a positive result for ##dU##?
C. For compression, it would be the opposite?
D. But since the question mentions work done on the gas we can read this as negative work done by the gas, which gives us the same sign as in B.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Additionally, I ran into the following problem :

In an adiabatic compression, the decrease in volume is associated with : (increase/decrease in temperature and increase/decrease in pressure)? (Sol. : During an adiabatic compression, temperature and **hence internal energy** of the gas increases. In compression pressure will increase.)

E. I understand that since compression occurs, pressure increases, what I don't understand, however, is why temperature increases, how this is deduced. (?)

Thanks!

JC2000 said:
Problem Statement: In an adiabatic expansion, a gas does 25J of work while in an adiabatic compression, 100 J of work **is done on** the gas. Find the change in internal energy for the processes.
Relevant Equations: ## dQ = dU + dW ## (where dW is the work done by the gas) ... (1)
## dQ = 0## for adiabatic processes. ... (2)
## W = \frac {nR(T_1 - T_2)}{\gamma -1}## (not required but relates to my question)... (3)

Using (2) on (1) give ## dU = -dW##... (4)
A.For expansion since the gas goes from ##(P_1, V_1, T_1)## to ##(P_2, V_2, T_2)##, does this imply ##T_1 \leq T_2 ##?
B. If so, then ##W## for adiabatic expansion would be negative (using (3))? Using negative ##dW## in (4) gives us a positive result for ##dU##?
C. For compression, it would be the opposite?
D. But since the question mentions work done on the gas we can read this as negative work done by the gas, which gives us the same sign as in B.?
The correct form of the first law to apply to this problem is $$\Delta U=Q-W$$ That is because you are dealing with finite changes that may or may not be reversible. For the expansion, the work done by the system on its surroundings is W = +25 J, so ##\Delta U=-25 J##. For the compression, the work done by the system on its surroundings is W = -100 J, so ##\Delta U = +100 J##.

Likes JC2000
JC2000 said:
Additionally, I ran into the following problem :

In an adiabatic compression, the decrease in volume is associated with : (increase/decrease in temperature and increase/decrease in pressure)? (Sol. : During an adiabatic compression, temperature and **hence internal energy** of the gas increases. In compression pressure will increase.)

E. I understand that since compression occurs, pressure increases, what I don't understand, however, is why temperature increases, how this is deduced. (?)

Thanks!
The internal energy of an ideal gas increases monotonically with increasing temperature. You have done adiabatic work on the gas (i.e., on the molecules at the boundary of the gas, that then transfer the energy via collisions to the molecules further from the boundary), so their kinetic energy increases, which corresponds to an increase in temperature and internal energy.

Likes JC2000
Chestermiller said:
The correct form of the first law to apply to this problem is $$\Delta U=Q-W$$ That is because you are dealing with finite changes that may or may not be reversible. For the expansion, the work done by the system on its surroundings is W = +25 J, so ##\Delta U=-25 J##. For the compression, the work done by the system on its surroundings is W = -100 J, so ##\Delta U = +100 J##.

Chestermiller said:
The internal energy of an ideal gas increases monotonically with increasing temperature. You have done adiabatic work on the gas (i.e., on the molecules at the boundary of the gas, that then transfer the energy via collisions to the molecules further from the boundary), so their kinetic energy increases, which corresponds to an increase in temperature and internal energy.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense!
Apologies for phrasing my questions quite badly (A,B,C,D).

Related to Work and Internal Energy for Adiabatic Processes

1. What is work in relation to adiabatic processes?

Work in adiabatic processes refers to the transfer of energy from one form to another, typically from mechanical energy to internal energy. This can occur through compression or expansion of a gas, without any heat being exchanged with the surroundings.

2. How does work affect the internal energy of a system in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, work can either increase or decrease the internal energy of a system. When work is done on a system, its internal energy increases, and when work is done by a system, its internal energy decreases. This is because work is a form of energy transfer, and the internal energy of a system is a measure of its total energy.

3. Is work the only factor that affects internal energy in adiabatic processes?

No, work is not the only factor that affects internal energy in adiabatic processes. Changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of a system can also affect its internal energy. However, in adiabatic processes, work is the primary factor that drives changes in internal energy.

4. Can the internal energy of a system remain constant in an adiabatic process?

Yes, the internal energy of a system can remain constant in an adiabatic process if there is no work being done on or by the system. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant, and any changes in temperature, pressure, or volume are balanced out by changes in the other variables.

5. How is the first law of thermodynamics related to work and internal energy in adiabatic processes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In adiabatic processes, work and internal energy are two forms of energy that are exchanged within a system, and the first law of thermodynamics applies to their transfer and conversion. This law helps us understand the relationship between work and internal energy in adiabatic processes.