Work and Energy: Calculating Work in Various Situations

In summary, in the first conversation, the weight lifter performs the most amount of work when lifting the barbell chest high, followed by putting it down and holding it up for 5 minutes. This is because there is force and displacement involved when lifting and gravity helps when putting it down. When holding it up, there is no displacement, therefore no work is done. In the second conversation, the work done by the engine on a 1200 kg car accelerating at 1.2 m/s2 over a distance of 150 meters is 216,000 J, calculated using the equations Wd=F*d and F=m*a. The equations have been correctly interpreted and used.
Weatherkid11
Please let me know if I am on the right track for these problems.
1) A weight lifter picks up a barbell and
1. lifts it chest high
2. holds it for 5 minutes
3. puts it down.
Rank the amounts of work W the weight lifter performs during this three operations. Label the quantities as W1, W2, and W3. Justify you ranking order. ---> I think that the most amount of work is when it is lifted chest high, since there is a force and displacement involved. After that, would me when he puts it down, becuase gravity helps, and there is a displacement. When he holds it up for five min there is no work becuase there is no displacement.
2)Estimate the amount of work the engine performed on a 1200 kg car as it accelerated at 1.2 m/s2 over a 150 meter distance. ----> Well since the equation for work is force times distance, it would be (1.2 m/s2)(1200kg)(150m) So the total work would be 216,000 J

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right for both questions, you've used the equations:

[tex]Wd=F \times d[/tex] and
[tex]F=m\times a[/tex]

Where:

Wd is work done in Nm (Newton meters)
F is the force in N (Newtons)
d is the distance in m (meters)
m is the mass in kg (kilogrammes)

a is the acceleration in [tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex] (meters per second squared)

I think you have interpreted and used these equations correctly.

Your reasoning for the first problem is correct. The weight lifter does the most work when lifting the barbell to chest height, as there is both a force (from the weight of the barbell) and a displacement involved. The least amount of work is done when holding the barbell for 5 minutes, as there is no displacement and therefore no work being done.

For the second problem, your calculation is correct. The work done by the engine is equal to the force (mass x acceleration) times the distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the car (mg) and the distance is 150 meters. So the total work done is 216,000 J. Good job!

Related to Work and Energy: Calculating Work in Various Situations

What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance that the object moves in the direction of that force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It comes in many forms such as mechanical, thermal, electromagnetic, and chemical. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is essential for understanding how the universe works.

How are work and energy related?

Work and energy are closely related as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one-half times the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It can be gravitational, elastic, or chemical depending on the type of force acting on the object.