Wording of a question confusion.

• Thread starter malcomson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the quantum ferromagnet and the Holstein-Primakoff transformation. The question asks to show that the Hamiltonian is quadratic in the boson annihilation and creation operators, to order S. There is confusion about whether this includes terms with a and a-dagger raised to the power of 2 multiplied by S, or if it means something else. The question also mentions an expansion in 1/S and taking only the leading term. The speaker has done some working and found a quadratic Hamiltonian in the boson operators, but the quadratic term is not of order S. There is uncertainty about whether this constant term should be included or not.
malcomson
Doing a problem and I'm not entirely sure what the wording is referring to.

I won't get into details of the question unless people want to know (not really relevant) but I'm looking at the quantum ferromagnet and applying the Holstein-Primakoff transformation to find a new form of the Hamiltonian.

"Show that, to order S, the Hamiltonian is Quadratic in the boson annihilation and creation operators a and a-dagger"

basically I'm a bit unsure as to what they're asking - should the equation have an a^2 and (a-dagger)^2 term multiplied by S or does it mean something else?

Earlier on in the question it mentions we're looking at the limit of large S, and there is an expansion in 1/S which is multiplied by S so does the question mean - "If we ignore all terms in the expansion of order less than S, - show the Hamiltonian is quadratic in the boson operators"

I've done some working and if you ignore those constant terms in the expansion you do get a quadratic Hamiltonian in the boson operators, but the quadratic term is not of order S.
The quadratic term is a constant that comes from elsewhere in the equation so I'm not sure if I should count it (it would have been discarded if it were in the expansion so why keep it now).

Apologies if I'm unclear - I'm not entirely sure how to make it better though

Physics news on Phys.org
It means there is an expansion in 1/S and you keep just the leading term, whatever that may be.

Related to Wording of a question confusion.

1. How can I make sure my question is clear and easily understood?

To ensure clarity in your question, it is important to use simple and concise language. Avoid using technical jargon or complex sentence structures. It can also be helpful to have someone else read your question to see if they understand it.

2. Why is the wording of a question so important in scientific research?

The wording of a question is crucial in scientific research because it determines the focus and scope of the study. A well-worded question will lead to more accurate and meaningful results, while a poorly worded question can lead to confusion and biased outcomes.

3. Can the wording of a question influence the results of a study?

Yes, the wording of a question can greatly influence the results of a study. It can affect how participants interpret and respond to the question, ultimately impacting the data collected and the conclusions drawn from it. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and construct the wording of a question in scientific research.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when wording a question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when wording a question include using leading or biased language, using double-barreled questions (asking more than one thing at once), and using vague or ambiguous terms. It is also important to avoid using emotionally charged language as this can influence participants' responses.

5. How can I improve the wording of a question if it is confusing?

If a question is confusing, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, simpler questions. You can also try rephrasing the question using different words or providing more context. Additionally, conducting a pilot study or getting feedback from others can help identify any areas of confusion and improve the wording of the question.