Word Trig Problem on Health/Medicine topic

• Thread starter Cold As Ice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic Trig
In summary: For Problem #40 the answer is 2.5 cm.For Problem #41 the answer is 4.0 cm. The book only have odd. Yes, it will make it complicated. I do not know how to solve that way then. :frown:Also try #40 as I have worked out the answer. For Problem #40 the answer is 2.5 cm.
Cold As Ice

Homework Statement

Posted #39 and $41. (look at the attachment).
ds = distance from the radiation source to the skin
dt = distance from the outer layer of the skin to the targeted issue
2fs = field size of the skin
2fd = targeted field size

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

None. Need to establish relationship between variables.

Please help.

Attachments

• 2013-01-26_151935.png
    2013-01-26_151935.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
Read the explanatory paragraph on the LHS of the attachment.

All of the necessary data is given. This is a problem dealing with similar triangles.

SteamKing said:
Read the explanatory paragraph on the LHS of the attachment.

All of the necessary data is given. This is a problem dealing with similar triangles.

I did read the explanatory paragraph.

80^2 + 4^2 = h^2

(82.5)^2 + (fd)^2 = (h2)^2

6806.25/6400 = 1.06 (ratio of two sides)

4 x 1.06 = 4.25

But this is not right since the ds = distance from the radiation source to the skin

You have set the problem up wrong. You are not interested in finding the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle. You know the bases of two triangles and the height of the larger triangle. You are being asked to find the height of the smaller triangle.

How would you set up an expression to find the unknown height?

SteamKing said:
You have set the problem up wrong. You are not interested in finding the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle. You know the bases of two triangles and the height of the larger triangle. You are being asked to find the height of the smaller triangle.

How would you set up an expression to find the unknown height?

Well, I was not looking for a hypotenuse. I was just setting up the ratio. Well do you know how to solve this problem, because I have no clue at all.

Cold As Ice said:
I did read the explanatory paragraph.

80^2 + 4^2 = h^2

(82.5)^2 + (fd)^2 = (h2)^2
That's right for the triangles.
6806.25/6400 = 1.06 (ratio of two sides)
No, that's the ratio of squares of the lengths. We are not interested in squares of lengths, just the ratio of the lengths of corresponding sides of similar triangles.

NascentOxygen said:
That's right for the triangles.

No, that's the ratio of squares of the lengths. We are not interested in squares of lengths, just the ratio of the lengths of corresponding sides of similar triangles.
Hmm. Thanks. So then 82.5/80 = 1.03125

1.03125 X 4 = 8.25 is the field size. But that is not right because d(s) is distance from the radiation source to the skin.

Cold As Ice said:
Hmm. You are right. So then 82.5/80 = 1.03125

1.03125 X 4 = 8.25 is the field size
A caution is timely here. Expect to lose marks for using an equals sign where what's on each side are NOT equal. :frown:

How should you have expressed this? (Try writing it over two lines.)

NascentOxygen said:
A caution is timely here. Expect to lose marks for using an equals sign where what's on each side are NOT equal. :frown:

How should you have expressed this? (Try writing it over two lines.)

Wait. What sides you are saying? Can you explain in details.

Thanks

1.03125 X 4 = 8.25
The equals sign should separate expressions which are really, truly equal.

NascentOxygen said:
The equals sign should separate expressions which are really, truly equal.

Ok. But that's not the right answer.

What is the right answer? The phrasing was a little ambiguous, though I believed I had figured it out.

NascentOxygen said:
What is the right answer? The phrasing was a little ambiguous, though I believed I had figured it out.

7.8 as the book say. I don't know. Maybe it is typo?

But look we used ds as one of the sides of triangle. But that ds is the entire height according what problem say. Also look I attached now again and marked it green line.

Attachments

• 2013-01-26_030501.png
    2013-01-26_030501.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 504
I see what you mean about ds but that is making it too complicated.

An answer of 7.8 would be the field on the skin if you take 8cm as the field of the targetted tissue (and lying 2.5cm below the surface).

What are the answers for the other parts?

NascentOxygen said:
I see what you mean about ds but that is making it too complicated.

An answer of 7.8 would be the field on the skin if you take 8cm as the field of the targetted tissue (and lying 2.5cm below the surface).

What are the answers for the other parts?

For Problem #41 the answer is 4.0 cm. The book only have odd. Yes, it will make it complicated. I do not know how to solve that way then. :frown:

There is no ambiguity about #41. Can you show your working for it?

Also try #40 as I have worked out the answer.

Related to Word Trig Problem on Health/Medicine topic

1. What is a "Word Trig Problem" in the context of health/medicine?

A "Word Trig Problem" refers to a specific type of health/medicine topic that involves using a trigger word or phrase to identify a particular health issue or disease. This type of problem is often used in medical research and can help to quickly identify potential health concerns in a large group of people.

2. How are Word Trig Problems used in health/medicine research?

In health/medicine research, Word Trig Problems are used to quickly identify potential health concerns in a large group of people. Researchers will use a specific trigger word or phrase to search through medical records or surveys to find individuals who may have a particular health condition. This method can help to save time and resources in identifying potential health concerns.

3. What are some examples of Word Trig Problems in the field of health/medicine?

Some examples of Word Trig Problems in health/medicine include using trigger words such as "diabetes" or "high blood pressure" to identify individuals who may have these conditions. Other examples may include using phrases like "family history of heart disease" to identify individuals who may be at risk for developing heart disease.

4. What are the benefits of using Word Trig Problems in health/medicine research?

The use of Word Trig Problems in health/medicine research can help to save time and resources by quickly identifying potential health concerns in a large group of people. This method can also help to identify individuals who may not have known they had a particular health condition, allowing for early detection and treatment.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Word Trig Problems in health/medicine research?

While Word Trig Problems can be a useful tool in health/medicine research, there are some limitations and drawbacks to consider. These may include potential biases in the trigger words or phrases used, as well as the possibility of false positives or false negatives in identifying health concerns. It's important for researchers to carefully choose their trigger words and to use caution in interpreting the results of Word Trig Problems.