Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Word problem for savings plan

Ladybug101

Apr 14, 2021
Hello! I am having trouble with this question. Please look at the image. I understand that I’m supposed to use the A = p *(1 + r/n) [(1 + r/n)n*y - 1] / (r/n) formula but I’m really stuck on this problem.

Attachments

jonah

Feb 21, 2015
Beer induced opinions follow. In no event shall the wandering math knight-errant Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer inspired views.
Hello! I am having trouble with this question. Please look at the image. I understand that I’m supposed to use the A = p *(1 + r/n) [(1 + r/n)n*y - 1] / (r/n) formula but I’m really stuck on this problem.
1CF80D59-CDEA-4298-B5C6-1553C372F862.jpeg
20210415_135455.jpg

Alas Milady, that formula you gave is incorrect.
That should either be

\(\displaystyle S_{Ordinary}=p\frac{\left(1+\frac{r}{n}\right)^{ny}-1}{\frac{r}{n}}\)
OR
\(\displaystyle S_{Due}=p\frac{\left(1+\frac{r}{n}\right)^{ny}-1}{\frac{r}{n}}\left(1+\frac{r}{n}\right)\)

where we replace $A$ (which denotes the present value) with $S$ (which denotes the future value).

It depends upon when you plan to make your monthly deposit, that is, at the end of the month (1st formula, future value of an ordinary annuity or end of period payments/deposits) or at the beginning of the month (very likely, 2nd formula, future value of an annuity due or beginning of period payments/deposits).

The question now is when do you plan to make your monthly deposits - at the beginning of the month or at the end of the month - to accumulate 30,000 at the end of 5 years. After you've made that clarification, it boils down to a mere plug and chug routine. You can try both if you like and compare the resulting $p$'s with your textbook's answer section if your problem is from a textbook.