Wood block coeffiecent of friction

In summary, the problem involves a wooden block with an initial speed of 6 m/s sliding up an incline plane at 25 degrees. The coefficient of friction is 0.3 and the question is asking for the block's final position and speed after it has slid back down to its starting point. To solve this, one can use the energy equation or calculate the forces on the block and use them to find the acceleration, time, and distance. The answer for part (a) is 1.065 m, while part (b) requires taking into account the friction on the way down.
Frosty_TAW
I also need help with this problem, it involves energy and i just can't crack the problem by using what i know, i can't even start it, so here it is:
A wooden Block whose intitial speed is 6 m/s starts to slide up an incline plane at 25 degrees above the horizontal.
a)if the coeffiecent of friction is .3 how far up the plane does the block go?
b) what will be the blocks speed after it has slid back down the plane to its starting point?

Physics news on Phys.org
a)the energy way is this but i think that assumes no friction
[tex]\frac{v^2}{2g} = h[/tex]

u have to add up all the forces on the block [tex] |ma| = |F_g + F_f + N|[/tex]
which if u know vectors i think gives...
[tex] a = 7.15 \frac{m}{s^2} [/tex] down the slope
so the block makes it v = v_0 + at, 0 = 6 - 7.15 t, t = 0.84s and therefore
x = 6(.84s) - 1/2 (7.15) (.84s)^2 = 2.52 m which is the hypotenus
h = 2.52m sin 25 = 1.065 m so you i put a lot of round off error so check it out
(the energy equation yeilds h = 1.83 m so without the friction its off 58%!)

b) just make sure u account for the friction on the way down

Last edited:
thanks man, that helps alot

Related to Wood block coeffiecent of friction

1. What is the wood block coefficient of friction?

The wood block coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It specifically refers to the friction between a wood block and another surface, typically a flat surface such as a table or floor.

2. How is the wood block coefficient of friction measured?

The wood block coefficient of friction is measured by conducting a controlled experiment where the wood block is pushed or pulled against a flat surface at a constant speed. The force required to keep the wood block moving is then divided by the weight of the block to determine the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the wood block coefficient of friction?

The wood block coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of wood used, the smoothness of the block's surface, the surface of the other material, and the amount of force applied.

4. What is a high or low wood block coefficient of friction?

A high wood block coefficient of friction indicates that there is a strong amount of friction between the wood block and the other surface, meaning that more force is needed to move the block. A low coefficient of friction means that there is less friction and the block will require less force to move.

5. How is the wood block coefficient of friction used in everyday life?

The wood block coefficient of friction is used in various applications, such as determining the appropriate type of wood for a specific purpose (e.g. flooring, furniture), designing machinery and equipment that requires sliding or rolling motion, and understanding the safety and stability of surfaces in sports or recreational activities.