Women's Marriage and Identity in Late 18th Century America

• Thread starter virtualize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, during the late 18th century, women from wealthy families were expected to marry someone from the same social class. Painted portraits were often made of these women as a symbol of their status. There is no textbook proof to state this, but social status was highly valued during this time and marriages between people of different classes were rare. The use of portraits to depict a person's future spouse was not a common practice in 18th century America. However, there may be deeper meanings behind these portraits that can shed light on the identity of American women during this time period. Other sources of information, such as art galleries, can provide insight into this topic. It is possible that this is a homework assignment.
virtualize
Women in the late 18th century and Marriage

During the late 18th century, women from wealthy class are usually required to marry those of the same class. And then a portrait is made of the women (if from wealthy class).

Is there any proof that shows this is true? Or is it not true?

I have 2 portraits and I have to see the similarities of it. I have to use this along with 5 more images to show how it shaped American Women Identity. Like the 2 pictures I am looking at have the wife both wearing / posture of the tradition of the husband.

But like I said is there any textbook proof to state this?

Science news on Phys.org
Social status was very important during that time and you seldom married beneath your class, male or female.

I have no idea what a painted portrait has to do with it. Are you thinking of stories like those of aristocracy in Europe that had only seen the person they are to marry in a small portrait before actually meeting? That would not be normal in 18th century America.

Evo said:
Social status was very important during that time and you seldom married beneath your class, male or female.

I have no idea what a painted portrait has to do with it. Are you thinking of stories like those of aristocracy in Europe that had only seen the person they are to marry in a small portrait before actually meeting?

No, I have two portraits and must write the message behind it. Like the deeper meaningof it to show Women's Identity in America fom 1750-1850.

And I got that out of it, or from the information that was provided by the art gallery.

What other sources of information have you tried? I take it, this is homework?

Related to Women's Marriage and Identity in Late 18th Century America

1. What were the societal expectations for women's marriages in late 18th century America?

In late 18th century America, women were expected to marry and fulfill the roles of wife and mother. Marriage was seen as the primary goal for women and was often arranged by their families for economic or social reasons.

2. Did women have any legal rights within marriage during this time period?

No, women did not have any legal rights within marriage during this time period. Upon marriage, women essentially became the property of their husbands and were not allowed to own property, sign contracts, or make legal decisions.

3. How did marriage impact a woman's identity in late 18th century America?

Marriage was seen as a defining factor in a woman's identity during this time period. After marriage, a woman's identity was tied to her husband and she was expected to conform to societal expectations of a dutiful wife and mother.

4. Were there any exceptions to the societal expectations for women's marriages?

There were some exceptions to the societal expectations for women's marriages during this time period. Some women, particularly those from wealthy families, were able to negotiate for more autonomy and control within their marriages. Additionally, some women chose to remain single and pursue other interests or careers.

5. How did women's marriages differ based on their social class?

The expectations and experiences of women's marriages varied greatly based on their social class. Women from wealthy families often had more control over their marriages and were able to make choices based on love and personal preference. However, women from lower classes were more likely to have arranged marriages for economic reasons and had less control over their own lives and identities within marriage.