Witness the Sky of an Accelerated Black Hole

In summary: The horizon is not a "place", so you can't really think of it as "moving" when the charge distribution changes but "standing still" otherwise. It's a null surface, generated by outgoing light rays.Also, the known solution that describes a charged black hole assumes that there is no other charge or stress-energy present anywhere. If you put another charge in, you are changing the solution; we don't have a known solution that describes this case. So we don't know for sure how the horizon would behave.Finally, when we are dealing with relativistic solutions, we have to keep in mind the fact that charge and stress-energy can't just appear from nowhere or disappear into nowhere
jartsa
Let's put an observer hovering near the event horizon of a charged black hole.

As the black hole is charged we can change its velocity from zero to 10 m/s in one second.

But we can not send a message to the observer in one second.

So the observer does not know that the black hole that he is sitting on started moving. So I guess he is moving with the black hole.

Why does he not see stars moving? I mean those stars that were still in the black hole's sky when the black hole was not moving, why do those stars stay still when the black hole and the observer start moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
jartsa said:
As the black hole is charged we can change its velocity from zero to 10 m/s in one second.
You are ignoring that the electric field only moves with the speed of light.
jartsa said:
And yet it takes a long time for the light to reach the observer.
These 2 premises cannot be true at the same time.

SlowThinker said:
You are ignoring that the electric field only moves with the speed of light.

Hey that's one more oddity: The observer can't measure any electric field although the electric field is already accelerating his black hole.

We know that a charged black hole attracts opposite charges when charges come nearby, right? Therefore charges attract oppositely charged black hole when they come close together. Attraction is mutual.

jartsa said:
Sorry, where are we when we are sending this message?

jartsa said:
So the observer does not know that the black hole that he is sitting on started moving.
He'll know when it starts moving under him.

jartsa said:
So I guess he is moving with the black hole.
Why?

jartsa said:
Why does he not see stars moving? I mean those stars that were still in the black hole's sky when the black hole was not moving, why do those stars stay still when the black hole and the observer start moving?
What?

Perhaps others can grasp what you're describing, but I need a clearer picture.
Can you re-describe your scenario from the top including the middle steps?

DaveC426913 said:
Perhaps others can grasp what you're describing, but I need a clearer picture.
Can you re-describe your scenario from the top including the middle steps?
Because of gravitational time dilation a message takes a long time to reach a person in a gravity well.

As a black hole moves in gravity fields like any other object, I assume that a charged black hole moves in electric fields like any other charged particle.

When we attract the black hole with charges, while observing the person near the event horizon, we see that the black hole and the person start moving, but only after a long time we see that the person has noticed that he has started moving, the information that somebody is messing with the black hole reaches him after the black hole has been moving a long time.

jartsa said:

One second relative to whom? There is no absolute time. I suggest that you give a more detailed description of what is happening.

jartsa said:
I guess he is moving with the black hole.

Don't guess. Calculate.

I'll ask a related question, that might answer the original question.
When we move a charged ball at some reasonable distance from the BH (not very close to the horizon), when does the horizon move?
Does the EM wave have to reach the singularity first, and the horizon follows, or is the horizon itself moved by the field?
Or does the horizon behave in such a way that the distinction is nonsensical?

SlowThinker said:
When we move a charged ball at some reasonable distance from the BH (not very close to the horizon), when does the horizon move?

The horizon is not a "place", so you can't really think of it as "moving" when the charge distribution changes but "standing still" otherwise. It's a null surface, generated by outgoing light rays.

Also, the known solution that describes a charged black hole assumes that there is no other charge or stress-energy present anywhere. If you put another charge in, you are changing the solution; we don't have a known solution that describes this case. So we don't know for sure how the horizon would behave.

Finally, when we are dealing with relativistic solutions, we have to keep in mind the fact that charge and stress-energy can't just appear from nowhere or disappear into nowhere. You can't have a solution where you suddenly place a charge that wasn't there before, or turn on an EM field that comes out of nowhere, with no pre-existing energy or charge anywhere. The solution has to obey all conservation laws everywhere, otherwise you get nonsensical answers. That is why I asked jartsa to give a more detailed description of what is happening.

Related to Witness the Sky of an Accelerated Black Hole

1. What is an accelerated black hole?

An accelerated black hole is a type of black hole that is rapidly increasing in mass due to the absorption of matter from its surroundings. This process is known as accretion and can result in the emission of high-energy radiation, making accelerated black holes some of the brightest objects in the universe.

2. How does an accelerated black hole affect its surroundings?

As an accelerated black hole grows in mass, it can have a significant impact on its surroundings. The strong gravitational pull of the black hole can distort the space and time around it, causing nearby objects to orbit and accelerate towards it. This can also lead to the formation of accretion disks, where matter spirals towards the black hole at high speeds.

3. Can we observe the sky of an accelerated black hole?

Yes, we can observe the sky of an accelerated black hole using various telescopes and instruments. The high-energy radiation emitted by the accretion disk and jets of material can be detected across the electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves to gamma rays. The recent development of gravitational wave detectors has also allowed us to indirectly observe accelerated black holes through their gravitational effects on surrounding space and time.

4. What can we learn from studying accelerated black holes?

Studying accelerated black holes can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, including gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. They can also help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as black holes are thought to play a crucial role in the growth of galaxies over time.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with accelerated black holes?

Accelerated black holes themselves are not a direct danger to us, as they are typically located at great distances from Earth. However, the high-energy radiation emitted by these objects can be harmful to living organisms. Fortunately, the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field protect us from most of this radiation, making it safe for us to study and observe accelerated black holes from a distance.