Wireless window opener component selection

In summary, the project is to create a wireless window blinds controller that uses a motor to turn the handle. The new measurements show that the torque required to turn the handle is 743 grams cm or 10.3 ounces in. You will need flyback diodes to protect the MOSFETs from the switch-off voltage spike.
GiTS
Hello,

As a project I am making a wireless window blinds controller. It will be a motor turning the handle of the blinds. It may or may not use bluetooth and or wifi. It will be wireless through some means though. The device does not raise or lower the blinds.I measured a peak torque of 2 ft lbs when turning the blinds handle. This peak occurs when the blinds shift from facing down to facing up.

What motor should I use for quiet operation?

You can learn more about the project here: http://hackaday.io/project/3516-lightbix

Thank you,
-GiTS

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a wiper motor from a wrecked car. It will have a quiet worm reduction gear.
Instead of 12VDC, run it on 5V to reduce it's speed and quieten it further.

There were errors in my previous measurements! I have new torque measurements and they are MUCH more accurate.

New torque measurement is 10.3 oz in or 743 g cm.

Thank you for suggestion Baluncore. With the new torque measurements, what motor would you suggest? I would prefer something standardized as I'd like the project to be repeatable for anyone interested in making it.

There is no motor cheaper and more standard than a used 12V wiper motor.

Others will want to do other things that may require reciprocating or rotational motion, with more or less torque.
No one else will want to adjust your blinds.

Thank you. Where can I find an inexpensive wiper motor online? Ebay and google shopping are all in the $60 range.

Used wiper motors come out of wrecked cars. Find a dead car or go to a scrap yard.

I will find one.

What do I need to drive it? Will a uln2003 or l293d work? I have those. But they only go up to 1 amp.

You might be better using an H-bridge made from four MOSFETS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_bridge
You will need flyback diodes across the MOSFET switches to protect them from the current switch-off voltage spike.

Related to Wireless window opener component selection

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a wireless window opener component?

When selecting a wireless window opener component, there are several factors to consider. These include the size and weight of the window, the type of opening mechanism (e.g. crank, sliding, or casement), the desired range of operation, and any additional features such as remote control or smart home integration.

2. What is the recommended power source for a wireless window opener component?

The recommended power source for a wireless window opener component is typically a battery pack. This allows for easy installation without the need for wiring or electrical outlets. However, some components may also offer the option for direct wiring to a power source.

3. How do I determine the compatibility of a wireless window opener component with my existing window?

It is important to check the specifications and compatibility of a wireless window opener component with your existing window before making a purchase. This can include the size and weight limitations, as well as the type of opening mechanism. Some components may also provide compatibility charts for specific window brands and models.

4. Can a wireless window opener component be retrofitted onto an existing window?

In most cases, a wireless window opener component can be retrofitted onto an existing window. However, it is important to ensure that the component is compatible with the window and that the installation process is feasible. It may be helpful to consult with a professional for complex installations.

5. Are there any safety features to consider when selecting a wireless window opener component?

Some wireless window opener components may offer safety features such as obstacle detection or automatic closing in case of rain or strong wind. It is important to consider these features, especially if the window will be used in a household with children or pets.