Wiper screen wiper mechanism calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a high school project to design a mechanism to transform rotary motion into oscillating motion for a wiper blade. The problem involves calculating the power and speed of the motor needed to drive the mechanism at one complete cycle per second. The speaker suggests conducting an experiment and provides steps for calculating the necessary parameters. They also mention the given closing force and coefficient of kinetic friction and how they can be used to calculate the friction force, torque, and power.
hamerish

Homework Statement

In a high school project we have been given the assignment to design the mechanism to transform the a rotary motion into the oscillating of a wiper blade. I'm a bit confused as to how to go about the problem..

I have been given that there is a closing force between the wind shield and the wiper blade of 50N, and coefficient of 0.8. I need to calculate the power and speed of the motor required to drive the mechanism at one complete cycle per second.

I think I need to calculate the friction generated at the wiper blade, then calculate the torque of the wiper arm. I am guessing then I can calculate the power.

Im just not sure what equations I should be looking at and in what order to use them.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do a little experiment. Go out to your car with a ruler, stop watch and protractor. Measure how long the wiper arm is, time for one complete cycle and the angle the arm makes for one complete cycle. Now you can calculate the angular velocity of the wiper arm. That might be helpful for the motor speed. I am assuming the closing force is the force is the force the wiper blade applies to the windshield (normal force) and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.8. Calculate the friction force, torque and power.

Related to Wiper screen wiper mechanism calculations

1. How does the wiper screen wiper mechanism work?

The wiper screen wiper mechanism is powered by an electric motor that rotates a crank arm. This crank arm is connected to a link arm, which moves the wiper arm back and forth across the windshield.

2. How do you calculate the speed of the wiper blades?

The speed of the wiper blades can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the wiper arm in one cycle by the time it takes to complete that cycle. This can be done using a stopwatch and measuring the distance traveled by the wiper arm.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of the wiper mechanism?

The efficiency of the wiper mechanism can be affected by various factors such as the condition of the wiper blades, the motor power, and the angle of the wiper arm. Any damage or wear and tear can also affect the overall efficiency.

4. How do you determine the size of wiper blades needed for a vehicle?

The size of wiper blades needed for a vehicle can be determined by measuring the length of the wiper arm from the base to the tip. This measurement can then be used to select the appropriate size of wiper blades for the vehicle.

5. Can the wiper screen wiper mechanism be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

In some cases, the wiper screen wiper mechanism can be repaired by replacing specific components such as the motor or the wiper arm. However, if the damage is extensive, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire mechanism.