Winning Nobel Prize: Friend's Experiment to Prove Electron Not a Particle

• Thread starter AkInfinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary, his friend thinks that the electron is not a particle and that he can prove it with an experiment. However, he does not want to show the experiment to anyone until he is sure it is safe. He also recommends that the person doing the experiment study how the extension of the wave-particle duality of light has already occurred in terms of matter. If the friend is serious about his theory, he should write up his findings and submit them to a peer-reviewed journal.
AkInfinity
Hey I got a quick question,

one of my friends says that he made an experiment in which he can definatley prove that the electron is not a particle :eek:

I think it's poppycock but he says once I see the experiment there is no way I will disagree with him.

He wants credit for it and thus doesn't want to show it to me yet for saftey (which I am okay with) but he doesn't know what to do about it. Should he right a paper and submit it for publishing? or if he makes a youtube video of the experiment can it be stolen by someone else? What is the fastest way he can get it out and get credit for it 10000000 dollars or whatever so I can see it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The best move is that he buys some actual physics books and that he starts reading them. His idea is likely to be rubbish.

Proving negatives in science is more or less impossible.

Besides, I recommend that your "friend" studies how the extension of the wave-particle duality of light has already occurred in terms of matter. This includes electrons. So it is entirely plausible that your pal has somehow devised a way to show that electrons can be shown to behave as waves, rather than particles, but he would merely be mimicking what has been done since 1923, when Louis de Broglie originally showed that.

This, of course, does not prove that electrons are waves, and not particles, but merely that they can behave as both, just like light.

I agree with you guys that he's full of it,

But I am still intrigued as he is very smart. Lol and you guys didnt really answer my question lol :D

I told him that to lok at thomsons etc at debroigle at compton, and he said he did and that there are others that agreed with him that electron isn't a particle like heavyside steinmenz tesla and oliver lodge...

If he really thinks that it's worthwhile, he should write it up in a professional manner and submit it to a peer-reviewed journal. The mere fact that YouTube was even mentioned is not a good sign, though. (Do the term "cold fusion" ring a bell? :rolleyes:)

Related to Winning Nobel Prize: Friend's Experiment to Prove Electron Not a Particle

1. What is the Nobel Prize?

The Nobel Prize is an annual award given to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the fields of Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, and Peace. It is considered one of the most prestigious awards in the world and is named after Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite.

2. Who won the Nobel Prize for proving the electron is not a particle?

The Nobel Prize for proving the electron is not a particle was awarded to J. J. Thomson in 1906. He received the award for his work on the discovery and identification of the electron, as well as his research on the passage of electricity through gases.

3. What experiment did J. J. Thomson conduct to prove the electron is not a particle?

J. J. Thomson conducted the cathode ray tube experiment to prove that the electron is not a particle. He observed the deflection of cathode rays in an electric and magnetic field, which led him to conclude that the cathode rays were made up of negatively charged particles, later named electrons.

4. How did the discovery of the electron impact the scientific community?

The discovery of the electron had a significant impact on the scientific community as it provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles. It also led to a better understanding of atomic structure and the development of modern physics. This discovery paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics.

5. How does winning the Nobel Prize for this experiment affect the recipient's career?

Winning the Nobel Prize for proving the electron is not a particle can have a profound impact on the recipient's career. It can bring recognition and credibility to their work, open up opportunities for further research and collaborations, and provide financial support. It can also inspire and motivate other scientists to pursue groundbreaking research in their respective fields.