Windsurfer making a turn (Centripetal Acceleration)

In summary, the windsurfer and their board have a total mass of 100 kg. While making a turn downwind, their heading changes from due west to due south over a 5 second time interval. Maintaining a constant speed of 10 m/s, the windsurfer experiences a centripetal acceleration of 3.14 m/s^2 or π m/s^2 while making the turn.
eddyy08
"A windsurfer and their board have a total mass of 100 kg. While making a turn downwind, their heading changes from due west to due south over a 5 s time interval. If they maintain a constant speed of 10 m/s while doing this, determine their acceleration while taking the turn."

v=Δx/Δt
10=(2πr/4)/5 assuming his path is a perfect 1/4 of a circle

r=31.8 m

a=v^2/r
a=10^2/31.8

a=3.14 , actually π if you don't round your answers.

It seems like I've done it correctly, but 3.14 or π doesn't seem correct to me... please verify if my answer is correct.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
eddyy08 said:
"A windsurfer and their board have a total mass of 100 kg. While making a turn downwind, their heading changes from due west to due south over a 5 s time interval. If they maintain a constant speed of 10 m/s while doing this, determine their acceleration while taking the turn."

v=Δx/Δt

I think you've got things a little mixed. So let's start with this. In terms of linear acceleration it's 0. Surferdude maintained constant speed.

But in terms of the velocity vector v there was an acceleration due to his change in direction. So for acceleration a, we have ...

a = Δv/Δt = Δ<Vx,Vy>/Δt.

Over the 5 sec time period you have

a = Δv/Δt = Δ<10 x,10 y>/5 = Δ<2 x, 2 y>. Directed at 45° to positive x. (East)

I know that the linear acceleration is 0, what I want to figure out is the centripetal acceleration.

eddyy08 said:
I know that the linear acceleration is 0, what I want to figure out is the centripetal acceleration.

In thinking about it, I guess I'm the one that had it mixed. It does seem to indicate that they want the acceleration "while" making the turn not "in" making the turn, and centripetal acceleration is = π as you already found, directed radially.

As the numbers work out you end with R = V2/π which means that V2/R = π

Thanks a lot I appreciate it :)

Related to Windsurfer making a turn (Centripetal Acceleration)

What is centripetal acceleration in windsurfing?

Centripetal acceleration in windsurfing is the acceleration that occurs when a windsurfer makes a turn. It is the acceleration towards the center of the turn, caused by the tension in the rig and the curvature of the sail. This acceleration allows the windsurfer to maintain a curved path while changing direction.

How do you calculate centripetal acceleration in windsurfing?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration in windsurfing is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the windsurfer, and r is the radius of the turn. This formula can be used to determine the amount of acceleration needed to make a turn at a certain speed and radius.

What factors affect centripetal acceleration in windsurfing?

The two main factors that affect centripetal acceleration in windsurfing are the speed of the windsurfer and the radius of the turn. A higher speed or a tighter turn will require a greater amount of centripetal acceleration. Additionally, the shape and size of the sail, as well as the tension in the rig, can also affect the amount of centripetal acceleration.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the turning ability of a windsurfer?

Centripetal acceleration is crucial for a windsurfer's ability to turn. Without this acceleration, the windsurfer would continue in a straight path and be unable to change direction. The amount of centripetal acceleration needed depends on the speed and radius of the turn, as well as the windsurfer's technique and equipment.

What are some safety considerations when experiencing centripetal acceleration in windsurfing?

It is important for windsurfers to be aware of their speed and the radius of their turns in order to maintain a safe level of centripetal acceleration. Going too fast or attempting too tight of a turn can lead to loss of control and potential accidents. It is also important to properly adjust and maintain equipment to ensure safe and effective centripetal acceleration while windsurfing.